Chapter 22: Second Chances

We pulled into the parking lot, and got out. By now, it was dark outside ans starting to get chilly.

Before we got out, Daniel stopped me.

"I got you a corsage," he said, holding a clear plastic box with a pink rose in it.

"Thanks, but I didn't get you a flower. I wasn't sure if you were coming," I replied, my voice following a decresendo.

He put it on my wrist, and we got out. Daniel came around to my side of the car and walked me up to the front. We presented our tickets and went inside.

Music played loud in the gym and people milled about. I took off the heels and set them down under one of the tables.

We found some of the boys and went by them. In the next few minutes, the whole team and their dates were dancing with us.

It was great fun. Except when a slow song came on.

"Lins?" Daniel asked, offering a hand.

I took his hand, and we started dancing. Like, his hands were on my waist again and everything. It felt like my heart was about to explode.

I randomly babbled in my head, thinking of all sorts of things, including will he kiss me?

Of course he won't. The only reason Daniel came is because he had a ticket and he didn't want to make me upset. I'm so stupid.

"You know, I've been remembering why I fell in love with you lately," Daniel said into my ear.

"Oh really," I responded. This can only mean something good.

"I know I probably won't ever be the same Daniel you were in love with, but I can try. I will try to get you to fall in love with me again," he replied.

"You're so silly," I said, pulling my head away from his neck, "I've been in love with you the whole time."

"Well that just makes everything a little bit more simple," he whispered.

Daniel lowered his head to kiss me. It was so amazing, just being with him. It made me wonder how I survived the past few weeks.

"Will you be my girlfriend again?"

"Yes!" I replied, kissing him again.

"Hey, you two, this is still school property. Cut it out."

I turned to see what teacher said that, but I was met with Mark. I stuck my tounge out at him and returned to Daniel.

The rest of the night was a blast. I danced with Daniel during all the slow songs, and danced with some of the guys' dates for some of the other loud songs.

At eleven, the dance was over. I kissed Daniel goodbye, and Ben drove Abigail and me to her house.

We said goodbye, went inside, and changed into pajamas. Then we watched Titanic, and ate Oreo truffles that her mom made. It made me realize how much I missed having girl time.

After watching the three to four hour long movie, we went to sleep. Abigail was out in minutes, and snoring ever so slightly.

I, on the other hand, couldn't fall asleep. So I pulled out my phone and texted Daniel.

D-Lins it's four in the morning.

L-I can't sleep

D-So you text me so I can't either?

L-Aw don't be so bitter. I love you!

D-I love you too. So what are you doing tomorrow?

L-Probably sleeping lol.

D-How about next weekend?

L-You guys have a tournament

D-Wow and I didn't even know. Sit by me on the bus?

L-Who else would I sit by.

D-Right. Go to sleep, Lins, you're killing me.

L-Fine, goodnight.

D-Goodnight, beautiful.

I smiled at the last text, then plugged my phone in. Then I finally went to sleep.

-

In the morning, Abigail and I were like ghosts. Sun shone bright through the house, and we looked like washed out zombies.

Okay, that's a little exaggerated, Abigail didn't look that bad.

But me, however, my curled hair stuck all over my face and frizzed above my head. The mascara and eyeliner smeared while I slept(probably should've taken the makeup off before going to sleep.)

Abigail just looked tired. I mean, we didn't get to bed until three, because of Titanic. Stupid Jack Dawson and his death and the enlongated action during the time the boat was sinking.

Luckily, Abigail's been to proms before, so her mom knew what the morning after would be like. She made tons of bacon. Just bacon.

"Eat your hearts out, girls," Abigail's mom said. She handed us cups of water, and continued washing the dishes.

My grin stretched from ear to ear as I took my seat. I took a heap of bacon from the big plate, and started eating.

"Slow your roll there, Lindsey," Abigail said, laughing.

I smiled, but ignored it and kept eating. No one could stop me now.

At last, all of my bacon was gone. By that time, Abigail had eaten four strips. But this was just what I needed. Something very delicious that has protein!

"Lindsey, your mom is here," Abigail's mom said, coming back into the kitchen. I never even noticed her leave, even though I took my plate to the sink she was using just before.

I went up to Abigail's room to get my stuff. I took my dress, left the shoes, grabbed my charger, and went back downstairs.

"Thanks for having me," I said, hugging Abigail.

"It was a ton of fun. See you at school tomorrow," Abigail said.

She walked me out the door, and I trudged to my mom's car. I didn't even care that I looked horrible.

I climbed into the passenger's seat and buckled my seat belt. Then I waved goodbye to Abigail as we pulled out and made our way home.

The car ride was silent. I feel so distant from my mom. She never drives me to school, we never hang out afterschool, never on the weekends.

But the season is almost over, I reassured myself. We lost three amazing players at one point, so that put us down. Now the team has to suffice without Daniel. He doesn't even get his cast off until mid-June.

As soon as the car parked in the garage, I hopped out and ran to the bathroom so I could shower.

I got a second chance. We got a second chance. Who knew?

I hummed some of my favorite songs while I washed the hairspray out of my hair, washed the dirt from the floor off my feet, and the pain off my mind.

Daniel and I are back together. He remembers almost everything. Tommy is alright. Mark approves. And Holy shit the six seniors graduate in two weeks.

Thanks to the two people that commented! I've decided to work on both stories! As promised, here's the update!