Chapter 12: The Hospital

My head raged. I was tempted to yell for my mom to bring me an Advil, but she was probably busy.

The sun shined so bright, I could see it through my closed eyelids.

I tried rolling over, but winced in pain. My ribcage throbbed.

"Ah," I groaned, trying to transfer back onto my back.

"She's awake," I heard someone say.

So now my parents let them into my room while I'm sleeping? What happened to the whole "don't get raped?"

I tried to peel my eyes open.

Oh shit.

This isn't my room. It's a hospital room.

"Wh-wh," my mouth tried.

"Sh, we'll tell you everything in a minute. The doctor has to talk to you first," a voice said. I couldn't make out his face, but it looked like Mark.

"Lindsey?" An unfamiliar voice asked. Probably the doctor.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Do you remember what happened?"

Flashing lights. Blackness. The car.

"Was I in a car accident?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

"Yes. Everyone is alive. Try to remain calm as I speak, alright?"

I nodded, but instantly regretted it. My neck hurt, too.

"The car was hit in the back left. You were injured from the impact. A few ribs cracked, a broked ankle, and you might suffer from amnesia of a few hours before the incident. Can you remember what you did before getting into the car?"

"Where's Daniel?" I said, harshly.

"Answer my questions and I'll fill you in on all three of the other passengers."

"We were doing laser tag. Our team won three out of five."

"Good. Can you feel any pain?"

"My neck hurts like heck, and my ribs are tingly. And I have a headache," I responded, rubbing my temples.

There was an IV in my hand. I screamed, and held it away from me. I have a blood-needle-injury fear. Human anatomy gives me nausea.

"Alright. A nurse will bring you medication. As for your friends, Thomas made it out with a few scratches. Benjamin has a sprained wrist and a few deeper scratches. Your friend Daniel is in a medically induced coma."

"Coma?" I whispered. I could barely even hear myself.

"Medically induced. We can wake him whenever we need, but he suffers from a lot of damage, so we want to give him more time to heal."

"What damage?" I feel nosy.

"Shattered arm bones, which was already casted, then some damage in the part of the brain that stores memory. It wasn't major, so the greatest lost will be the past few years. We believe that he will only lose the past year or two."

"Past year?"

"Are you going to keep repeating what I say?"

"No, I'm sorry. Can I see him?"

"Not right now. Some of your friends want to visit, would you like to see them?"

I nodded, and the doctor went to the door. A nurse rushed in with a cup and some pills. She had me take them, which I did immeadietly.

The nurse was helping me sit up in the bed as the boys were walking in. My parents were just behind them.

"Lins," Mark said. He was first to cone over and take my hand.