Chapter Seven: Don't Kill the Boy

I was already asleep when my famiy got home.

In the morning, I made cookies for Mark's team cookout. It doesn't start until five, and ends at eleven for me and all of the parents.

On the invitation, it said to bring a dish to pass, a swim suit, and for the boys, their sleep stuff.

My parents don't want to come. my sisters do, but I said no to them. Ben gave me a ride to it.

For mid-April, the temperature was really warm. It was still 80 degrees when we pulled in. There's a thermometer in Ben's truck.

We were some of the first people there. There was already loud music and the smell of hot dogs, burgers, and brats.

Ben showed me out back, where everyone else was. The pool was open and inviting, many chairs were set out, and half-full tables of food stood against the house.

I set my cookies next to some delicious-looking brownies, and Ben dropped a few bags of chips and a 2-Liter of root beer.

Tommy was standing in the pool, calling to us. I set my bag down under a chair, and took off my shirt and shorts.

When I stepped over, Tommy's eyes bulged. So did Ben's, and Mark's.

"Why the hell would you where a one piece and swim shorts to the lake?" Mark asked.

"I didn't want my good swim suits to get ruined," I replied, walking down the steps.

"You got the 'good' part right," Tommy said, winking at me.

I laughed, and splashed him. Slowly, more of the boys arrived, each one performing a canon ball into the water.

When Daniel came, he just waved, and jumped in. Everything has to stay normal.

"Dinner time!" Mark's mom yelled.

Everyone scrambled to be first. Let's just say, I got first pick on hot dogs, and everything else.

I beat the boys in line, beat them with getting my food, and even beat most at eating. Mark finished first.

Everyone went back in the pool. We played all sorts of games, from biggest canon ball(I got last) to the color game, which I got first.

We swam well into the dark. It was around ten when we got out. Mostly because the boys knew they only had an hour left until I left.

"Let's play truth or dare," Mark said, sitting down on the floor. We were in his room now, all wrapped up with towels.

I was wrapped up against Daniel, absorbing his warmth. Nobody thought anything of it, since they would all be okay with warming me.

"Tommy, truth or dare?" Mark asked.

"Dare," he replied.

"I dare you to jump in the pool naked."

Well, that didn't last long. They covered my eyes. Then Tommy dared Mark to, then he dared Ben, and soon, it was just me left to cover my eyes.

"Put some clothes on, guys," I yelled, eyes still shielded.

"First, you have to get in and kiss one of us," a voice said.

"Tommy, you ass," I muttered.

I crawled on the cement until I found the water. Then I hopped in.

I felt around through the air, touching faces and hair. One guy put his hand on my back.

I spun around to face him. Then I felt the familiar sensation on my waist. That was who I'll kiss.

I stretched a hand out to find his cheek. The same cheek as last night.

Hot air blew on my cheek. His face was near.

"Smart one," Daniel whispered.

"Okay, just kidding, Lindsey doesn't need to kiss anyone. Whoever decided that we should all jump in naked is an idiot," Mark yelled, "get out and get dressed."

I sighed. At least no one would suspect anything between us. After all, I shouldn't have even known who he was.

I waited for someone to give me the clearence so I could see and get out of the pool. I shivered in the cold air.

"Lindsey, you can look now," Ben said. When I opened my eyes, he had an arm extended to pull me out.

Mark looked pissed. I don't blame him, we all alomst broke the sacred "Team Code." I still have yet to learn more about it.

"I'll drive you home," Mark grumbled. Yeesh.

I nodded, and grabbed my bag. I stole a shirt from Mark's closet and threw it over my wet swim suit. Good thing he's so big and I'm so tiny.

The ride home was silent. I tapped my fingers on my lap.

We pulled into my driveway. The truck rocked back and forth over the gravel.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have flipped out like that," Mark said, softly. He rubbed his neck and continued steering.

"I'm sorry, too."

"No, you shouldn't be. I bet every girl would love to make out with a baseball player. Whether or not you show it," he replied.

"It was Daniel, right?" I whispered, as the car came to a stop.

"Mhm," Mark nodded, "care to comment?"

"I have to go. I'll text you," I said, not wanting to hear it now.

I climbed out, shut the door, and walked inside. My parents were watching the news, and my little sisters were painting their nails in the kitchen.

"Hey, chicklins, wanna do my nails?" I asked. I sucked at painting nails, and I knew they loved doing them.

"Only if you promise to stop biting them," Em snickered.

"You know, I haven't bitten them in a few weeks because of the sand that gets under them," I pointed out. I flashed my fingers in her face. My nails were long enough.

The two girls just rolled their eyes. Sometimes I wonder if they are both only 10 and 12.

Once they dried, I typed up a text to Mark:

L-I knew it was Daniel.

He responded immeadietly.

M-No dip.

L-When I tell you this, promise me you won't hurt anyone or tell anyone?

M-No garuntees.

L-Whatever. Daniel and I kissed.

M-The fuck? No way! Why? Ew! Whyyy?!

L-It's complicating.

M-Try me.

L-We both really like each other. Don't tell the other boys.

M-Are you going to date?

L-That's why I'm talking to you.

M-Gahhhh. I love you, little sis. I trust Daniel. Be careful, and tell me if he tries anything. No kissing in front of everyone, and don't tell anyone. Last thing, no. Sex. I'm serious.

L-Alright just don't kill the boy.

M-Go to sleep.

L-Love you, too.

I plugged my phone in, and got in the shower. When I got out, my phone was ringing. Perfect timing.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lins, it's Daniel. You told Mark?!"

"Oh, shit. Who did he say it too?"

"Just me. I think. And he didn't even try to kill me, just gave a speech," Daniel said.

"Good. We should hang out tomorrow. Just you and me," I suggested.

"Alright. I'll pick you up at two. We can go to my house, my parents won't be home. Do you want to go swimming again?"

Daniel has a pool, too. "Sure. See you tomorrow."

"Bye."

I need to get some sleep.