39

Laella arrived promptly when she had said she would, her van once again screeching into multiple parking spots, drifting in a way that had to be hell on her tires.

It was not a lowkey entrance in any way shape or form, but once she was out of the van she moved quickly and soundlessly to my door.

"Hey Gay." Laella greeted me cheerfully.

"Hi Lesbian." I replied, then let her into my room.

"Was that a secret code so you'd know it was her?" Ray asked teasingly, even though he knew it wasn't.

"Absolutely." I replied, "Gay is my code name, try to keep up."

It felt a little weird to joke around at a moment like this, but I supposed it helped to alleviate the stress that was setting in. What scared me the most was that I was going in blind. We had no schematics, I had never been to the location. I was putting all of our lives, including that of the man I love, in Laella's hands.

"Everyone ready?" I asked, trying to sound more confident than I felt.

Frank took his pain medication, and everyone nodded. Tension hung in the air as we trailed out the door and into Laella's van. Frank sat up front with her, as there were only two seats, while the rest of us squeezed into the back.

I found myself missing Frank's body beside mine, even though he was mere feet away. I managed to pull myself together. A leader can't afford to fall apart in a moment of need.

A leader. I had never thought of myself as a leader. Hell, I had never had enough people who liked me to be a leader. Yet here I was.

Laella's driving was more subdued now, for which I was thankful. Presumably she didn't want to get pulled over with a van full of armed assassins (and Mikey, Patrick, and Ray).

Soon she was pulling into a public parking lot. I assessed the area, and noticed there were no cameras. She had chosen well. Not that I had any doubts about her ability, but it was reassuring nonetheless.

Laella turned the van off. "The dock is hidden in a waterfront building around the corner. I've cased it, and I only spotted two guards, but I couldn't get to the second floor, so I don't know how many are up there."

I nodded, "Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Laella and Jimmy will go get the boats, drive them out of the legitimate dock. We take out the two on the ground level as quietly as possible, and signal them to bring the go-fast boats in. If we're lucky, that will be it. If things go how they usually do, we'll be shot at. I'm not leaving anyone behind, so watch each other's backs. Sound good?"

They all nodded, and Jimmy and Laella took off for the docks. I counted out ten minutes as we sat in the van in a tense silence.

"Let's go." I said finally.

We all left the van, and I locked it behind us. Frank's medicine had kicked in, and he was able to walk, but I kept close to support him anyway.

"Gee?" He whispered, as we headed to the corner.

"Yes?"

"I love you."

"I love you too." I really hoped this wouldn't be the last time I got to say those words to him.

The group stopped at the corner, waiting for my directions. I peeked around, spotting the building Laella had described. It was two stories tall and seemed to be entirely composed of aluminum siding, probably to cover up damage from the ocean air. A man was leaning against it beside the door, smoking a cigarette and trying (it seemed) to look casual.