Chapter 61

Chris' POV

"I don't know how Mmampho does it but I have to give her a standing ovation." Courtney says as she traps her sushi in between her chopsticks and takes it up to her mouth, savoring it. She closes her eyes as she chews the sushi and lets out a moan to show how much she is enjoying it. She then takes her drink and finishes the small portion that was left before placing it on the table again.

"For what?" I ask.

"I have never seen you scowl ever since she asked to get back together, you've been as jubilant as a kid that's been given candy by her grandmother."

"What a pleasant comparison my friend. Anyway, can't I be happy just for the sake of it?"

"Before her, you were happy for the sake of it, but now, you are over the moon and even the waitress can see it. Right?" She lifts her head up to ask the waitress that came to check up on us.

"Yes, he does look happy." The waitress named Onkabetse says.

"Are you guys okay or can I get you anything else?" She asks.

"Uh...please get me the sparkling strawberry rosé. This drink is out of this world. You should try it Chris." Courtney tells Onkabetse and she jots it down in her small notepad.

"No thank you, I will stick to the Gin and tonic. Can I get some of it again?" I ask the waitress and she jots it down too.

"Is that all?" She asks and we both nod then she leaves.

I take a forkful of calamari and rice and eat it, trying to avoid any question she is about to ask about Mmampho or any comment about the butterflies Mmampho gives me.

"I still want to see that picture you took of her when she thought you were rejecting her." Courtney made a three-minute voice note laughing at that picture when I sent it to her. I asked her to delete it afterwards and for the first time ever, she agreed without arguing with me or making me beg.

I pranked Mmampho a little when she was telling me that she loves me. It was my little revenge, just so she could feel how I felt. I was giving her a taste of her own medicine and she did not like it one bit. Her eyes were teary, her chest was rapidly moving up and down, as though she was about to burst into fuming flames. I could see that she was regretting ever putting herself on the spot like that.

But I was being honest when I called her out on how unfair she was. She has been unfair to me. I don't remember promising her that I was waiting for her but when she told me that she loves me and she wants to be with me, my heart leaped for joy, my pulse escalated because of the excitement rumbling inside of me. It felt so unbelievable. I thought I was dreaming. She said the words that I had been longing to hear.

When I became a friend to her these past few weeks, I did not think that she would realize that she still loved me. I thought we would keep it at that; friendship and maybe at some point she would come to me for advise regarding her next relationships. It would still sting but I would do it anyway because I am such a good friend.

We've been together for two weeks but it feels like it was only yesterday when she said it, Chris I love you. The two weeks have been a blast. I make sure to check up on her every chance I get and maybe hang out if she has time. I need her to be dedicated to her school work though.

The waitress brings our drinks and I immediately take a sip on mine.

"You remember when we met you said that I could be a therapist and I think you also said an advertiser?"

"Yea. What is it this time?" She always has some crazy theories and stuff. I never know what to expect.

"I mean, maybe I'm also psychic." Like I anticipated.