Chapter 3

Chris' POV

I can't believe I lost the love of my life for good.
It hurts me, it really hurts.

When she walked through that door on Saturday, I was so sure she was going to be mine forever. Her beauty still shone, even though she was in pajamas.

I had asked Angela why Mmampho left me right after Mmampho told me to ask her. Then she said it's because of what she heard and I did not understand. Angela elaborated, but she was sure that I would be with her.

I then wanted to proof to Mmampho that I do not like Angela. I checked the footage from that day she left and saw what Angela was talking about.

I told Lesedi to make sure that his mother comes to my house on Saturday night, but that was before I found out why she left me. The last time I checked, Mmampho wanted nothing to do with me so I wonder how Lesedi pulled the whole thing off.

"This boy deserves a reward," I said to myself when I saw them walk through the door.

I showed Mmampho the clip, trying to convince her to believe that I will never choose anyone, including Angela, over her. I swear I thought she would get back to me after she found out that it was a misunderstanding. There is probably another reason she left that I don't know about.

Funny how Angela thought the ring was for her. When she exclaimed and agreed to my proposal, I could not help but chuckle a little. It must have been embarrassing for her.

How ironic? I laughed at her, and got rejected by the one I wanted.

I winked at Lesedi when I first spotted them and he nodded with a smile. I like that boy, in a way, he reminds me of my younger self.

Mmampho had tears in her eyes even before I could finish my speech about being in love with her. I meant every single word.

Mmampho has always seen so small of herself and I did not like that. She is a bold woman, a strong woman- looking at the tragedy she went through. But she kept her head high, mothered and fathered her two offsprings. In her, I saw strength but she could not see it herself. She thought the world had defeated her, while it was preparing her for the better that was coming in her life.

Every time she smiled genuinely, my heart would do a happy dance. She deserves every little piece of happiness coming her way. I wanted to keep her happy, all the time. I did not want to be the reason she ever cried. I did not want to see her cry unless it was tears of joy spilling on her face. I wanted to be by her side when she fights this pain, when she ultimately reaches her victory, when she reaches her breakthrough.

Not that I wanted to be the reason for all of that, I just wanted to be by her side and support her. I know she has the potential to conquer the world, to conquer the constant pain she has. Her hopelessness drained me, I hoped she would find the hope, she would see that life does not end here. She can still be the heroine of the world. In her children's eyes, she is already.

When she held my hand and gestured for me to get up, I smiled. She made that long speech about how I taught her the difference between love and infatuation, how I stuck by her, how I never gave up on her and how she will forever love me.

'I love you so much Chris and I will forever do, I promise.' I remember her saying. I was so sure that we were going to be together forever. I had counted my chickens before they hatched.

In what world does a person say they will always love you but then reject your marriage proposal? See, it never crossed my mind that she would refuse to marry me.

'I promise to forever be your friend when you need me, to forever support you and to forever love you.' Of course I still had a big yes in mind. I was so sure that she was about to agree to be my wife. I thought it was that obvious after the speech she made.