Chapter 51

Mmampho's POV

"Mmampho!"

"I'm up." I wake up in a rush and check both corners of my mouth with my fingers for drool. I am glad I wasn't drooling.

"Class is over." Lydia says. I missed class. I fell asleep.

This  has been happening for countless times now. The past month has been awful. It has been difficult to go to school, study and work my three jobs. It's just a lot to take on. I have been sleeping during class and sometimes at work. I even sleep when I try to study. I nap every chance I get because I have not been getting enough sleep. I thought juggling three jobs and school would be a lot easier but it is not at all. It was okay at first but it has gone completely out of control now. I feel fatigued seventy percent of my day, I do not ace my weekly tests anymore, the motivation is just not there anymore. I do not remember the last time I cleaned the house thoroughly or cooked a proper meal and I hardly see Lesedi. It's all worth it at the end of the month but I am so exhausted.

I sometimes arrive late at school or work. I always come up with an excuse not to take those early mornings at Makhele's anymore so my salary has gone down a bit. I have skipped school a few times because I was too tired. I cannot manage my time well. I realized I also have eye bags and that was the last thing I wanted.

I started drinking coffee but it doesn't help with the random body aches I get. I think my system is used to it now so it does not work as well as it's supposed to. I drink it all day everyday. The pressure is just too much. It sucks when I try to study and nothing goes in, then I don't even hesitate to give up. And to think that I have to write my mid-year exams next month. I have no idea how I am going to pull this off.

I stand up to leave the class but Lydia calls me.

"You sleep a lot in class these days, what's wrong?"

"The neighbors are always making noise, I'm sorry." I lie.

"Hmm. Try getting enough sleep alright? And if you are having trouble juggling work and school, talk to someone who always has it under control, ask the person how they  manage their time. Or if it's too overwhelming, you can stop working for a while." She says the last sentence as a suggestion, she does not understand how badly I need the money.

I cannot think of anybody I know that has three jobs and has to go to school every single night.

"Okay." I say just to cut the conversation short, then I walk home. One thing I love about this school is that we don't get any homework, we do everything in school. I guess they understand that we have lives outside of school.

...

Since it's Friday today and I do not have to go to school after work, I will take a taxi to Thabo's to check up on those two.

Naledi is still staying at her father's. She was so glad when she heard that Thabo was going back home. She then decided that she wanted to spend as much time with him as she can so she does not come home every weekend anymore, it's more like every month.

As an appreciation to Lesedi for saving his life, Thabo bought him a cellphone. Lesedi felt like it is more of a bribe than an appreciation gift but he accepted it anyway. I think he said it's a Huawei P20, Naledi complained when she saw it but got over it quickly, saying that Lesedi deserves it. The three of them have went out a few times. Lesedi has agreed to see where this relationship will end up, he agreed to give it a try. Since then, Lesedi has been getting random gifts from his father.

"It's not because of the phone, but I think I should let Thabo in and see where this leads us." He said one day when I came home from my Sunday job.

"Hm! I'm glad you have finally come to that decision. Why did you decide that?" I could not help but ask.