Chapter 17

I went to fetch Naledi today. She still hasn't seen the house and since she is done with her exams, I figured that she can come and see it today. She kept asking me where we are going and I did not answer her. We have not told her yet. I know my daughter, she won't stop nagging and for the first time ever, I have to tolerate her nagging for a bit more. Just until we get to our destination.

I have not seen Naledi in two weeks, I really missed her. But at least I got to bond with Lesedi during those two weeks. I had expected that by now he would have told me that he has a girlfriend and what-not but the subject just never came up. I wanted him to get closer to me and develop some sort of trust in me. But I guess I failed at that.

Naledi must have enjoyed her stay at her dad's, I bet he spoiled her rotten. I have to take it away from her and I must say, I feel a little bad. But I told them that if they want to, they can live with their father, I won't take that away from them, ever. He might have never been there before but if they want to build a relationship with him now that he is here, that is fine too. They are not prohibited. And if Naledi decides to live with us, I bet she is going to miss the whole luxury that she had at her dad's place.

I hope that seeing that her mother was able to get a home for them will make her happy and proud of me. I hope it will make her happier than ever before.

What if seeing the house will disappoint her? I mean, that's likely to happen right? If it does, it will hurt me, honestly. But I also hope that she tells me how she truly feels, and not act happy only because she wants to please me.

Naledi has been talking about her last days at school and my thoughts have been flooded with one thing; my dad's passing. I cannot stop thinking about it. I should have went back when I had the chance. I shouldn't have let my pride get the best of me. I could see that it broke something in mom's heart to talk about it.

Isn't it funny that if I had made a different decision, I would not be in this situation right now? If I had just obeyed my mom's words, I would be in a totally different situation right now, probably better than this. And if I had broken up with Thabo on that day, my fate would have been written in a totally different ink? And I would have been there for my father's funeral. I would have spent more time with him, I wouldn't have lost so much time with my parents. Also, I would probably be rich and married.

I need to talk to Mavis about it, maybe she has words that will make me feel better. I feel like she always has something to say that will make me feel better.

"Mommy where do we even get off?"

"Oh, right here." I then tell the driver that we are getting off.

"Where are we?"

"This, my daughter is home."

"Are you serious?" She has a smile on her face. You know, I thought you guys lived at that shack again, how did you even get a house?" She exclaims.

"And I thought you would not be happy for me."

"How could I not? You stepped up."

"Because you prefer living with your dad at his big house." I purse my lips.

"Home is where my mother is, and seeing that you are happy makes me happy. Also, I lived in a shack so this is quite an upgrade mother. Dad was never there and I would not make you feel like you failed as a parent when you have been there when dad wasn't. I acknowledge your efforts mother. And just because he is rich and all, does not mean I would ever love him more than you."

"Are you trying to make me cry Naledi?"

"Is it working?" Her smile grows even bigger.

"No." I giggle and we walk into the yard.

"Do I get a bedroom?"

"Do you mind sharing with me? I mean, if you do not want to share with me, you could take the other room then I will sleep on the sponge in the living room."

"No mom, it's okay."

"Are you sure? Like, hundred percent? Because I do not mind at all."

"Yes mom." She holds my hand to assure me.

I think Lesedi heard our voices because he ran out to hug his sister. The smiles on their faces make me feel like I am doing something right as a parent. No, as a mother. They look untroubled and their laughs are carefree. They hug each other so tight like they have not seen each other for a whole year. Ugh, they must have missed each other really bad.

If I had a phone, I would take a picture of this moment, it is really heart-warming. But I bet my brain has already taken a mental picture.

"Thank God I don't get to share a room with you anymore." Naledi says.

"Whatever. You know that you are going to miss sleeping with me."

"Not even close brother." We all laugh as we walk into the house.

"So you get to decorate the room we sleep in." I tell her.

"Are you serious?"

"Yep. And you don't have to change schools, you could stay at your dad's during the week and come home every weekend, whatever you prefer."

"Yea that's cool, I do not want to change schools. And what about you Lesedi?"

"I want to change schools, I want to live here with mom." That was sort of expected:m. He would never choose to live with his dad.