Chapter 37

Mmampho's POV

Mavis and I never had that conversation that day. I did not bring it up and neither did she and I am very thankful for that. I could not get myself to talk about it.

But it's been a week since I saw her and I am about to go to her house right now because she told me that she does not work today and I thought I could hang out with her while Lesedi is at school. I am really bored and I could use her company right now.

This past week has been a drag and I have been doing the same routines everyday; I wake up, I make lunch for Lesedi, sometimes I walk him to school, then go back home to see if anything needs cleaning or washing or I just sleep. It's official, I do not have a life. I even cleaned the yard like three times this week, that's how bored I got.

I thought about what I did to Chris almost everyday. I kept having mental pictures of the facial expression he had before he closed the car door on that day and I have never felt that guilty in my entire life. I thought about going over to his house to apologize for how I broke things off with him but I decided against it after thinking about it for hours. I did not want to seem weak at all so I am glad that I did not give in.

I knock on Mavis' door and she does not answer. I knock again after a few minutes before I give up and decide to leave. I thought she was supposed to be home today, why wasn't she answering the door then?

And because there is nothing to go back to at home, I decide to take the long route and circle around the block. Taking a walk is kind of therapeutic sometimes

An orange pamphlet written Night School in white big font pasted on the light pole intrigues me and I walk over to it.  What is this, I think as I get closer.

Night school, an opportunity for you to do it all over again. The subheading reads.
Attending school for four days in a week to be taught the matric curriculum before rewriting the final examinations.

This is literally the universe telling me to go back to school. I mean, I dropped out when I was in matric, I actually did four months of my matric year then I dropped out. I never thought that I could be given this chance again. Maybe I should go back to school and do this. Then it would be easy for me to get a job knowing that I have my matric certificate. Why didn't I ever think of this before?

I take the pamphlet off the pole and fold it until it is small enough to fit into the back pocket of my jeans. I then continue with my walk as I think about how this could be great for me. I could get a job. For the first time in my life, I might do something meaningful with my time.

I take out that poster from my pocket to check the times and the place. It says here that school starts at 18:30 and ends at 22:30 and it is at the same school that Lesedi attends. That's okay, I guess I will manage to walk to that place everyday at night. It will be fine, I guess...I hope.

I put it back into my pocket and continue walking and I feel overwhelmed right now. Apparently it starts in a week. Wait, that means I have to go back to studying and stuff? I guess I have to sacrifice. I cannot believe that I am going back to being a learner all over again.

Requirements are all my documents including my grade eleven report card of which I think I have in my storage somewhere. I will do the exact same subjects but instead of Geography, I will do History. I never liked Geography anyway. I do not get why it is even necessary in the Science stream, that subject is boring as hell. Especially the map work part. I mean, who still uses maps to get around? Technology has taken over. Although I am quite behind with the memo, judging from the cellphone I use.

I get into my house and the first thing I do is look for all my documents so that I can register for this whole thing. I have to call the number that is written on the pamphlet.

I dial the number and make my way to the kitchen to drink water. As I am about to call the number, I hear a knock on the door. It better be Mavis.

I open the door and it is her.

"Hey you, where were you?" I ask her.

"I was asleep okay, do you think I am always waiting around for you to come by? No woman." I laugh at her.

"How has work been? I have not seen you in a week."

"It's okay, my job is the best so I never have complaints. Except that it gets boring at the house without you and I really miss having you around."

"Aw! That is the sweetest thing that you have ever said to me." I pour a glass of water for her and place it on the counter.