Chapter 32

The line has gotten short and before I know it, there are two people in front of me. The woman and I have been silent for a while and I do not know if I should continue talking to her in hope that our sons will become friends and maybe we could too. I am not really good at starting conversations so I am just going to let it go.

When I get to the young woman who painted her eyelids with blue eyeshadow and fleeked her eyebrows, I suddenly do not know what to say. Do I say it straight that my son has failed the grade or should I just give her the report card and let her see for herself? How will she even respond, is she mean or nice like she is supposed to be? Let me just wait for her to greet me first when she finishes talking to the woman that I would like to believe is her colleague.

"Hi, how can I help you?" She asks.

Right, it's my turn to say something. Let me start with 'hey'. Although I was really expecting her to have an ice-breaker so that I can feel more comfortable. I wish she asked me how I am doing instead of getting straight to the point. That way, things would be easier for me.

"Hello." She calls on me.

"Hi...hi. I am Mmampho and these are my documents. I need to register my son, he's going to do grade eight."

"Okay ma'am. Failed. Okaay. I see." She keeps mumbling and judging from her facial expressions, my son is not going to be accepted.

"Uh...where is his birth certificate? A copy of it at least?" She asks.

"Oh shoot, I must have forgotten it on the counter." I facepalm and try to think of what to do.

"Is it that important?" What a stupid question.

"Yes ma'am. And we cannot accept him without it."

"Can I, Can I bring it tomorrow?"

"No ma'am, today is the last day to register. Can't you ask somebody to bring it?"

"Okay, I will be right back." I tell her before leaving the reception.

I call Thabo and tell him to go to the house and bring it, he will find Lesedi and the copy of the birth certificate is just on the counter.

"What! I am at work." He exclaims.

"And your son might not go to school for the year if you don't do this."

"But I could get fired." That has to be a lie, his best friend is the boss.

"You can just tell them that it is a family emergency."

"But Mmampho--."

"I think I wasn't clear Thabo. You do not have a choice. Parenting 101, your kids first, don't you know?"

"I will see what I can do."

"Thabo--."He hangs up. I call him again and he ignores me.

What am I going to do now? I call Thabo once again and he does not pick up. I am a way better parent than he is and if he doesn't come through, he must forget about having a proper relationship with his son.

>On its way.

His texts reads. So he is bringing it, a breath of relief escapes and I smile too.

>Wait at the gate.

He sends another one and I do as it says.

After waiting for a few minutes, Thabo's car parks in front of me. And here's the twist, it's not him in the car, it's the freaking jerk that I have been avoiding. Why is he here? And since when did they fix their friendship to the point that he gets to drive Thabo's car?  So this is the plan Thabo came up with? And is this why he said "on its way" on that text. I think I'm going to puke.