Epilogue

The beautiful, big blue ocean's waves are crashing against each other.  People are scattered all over the shore, having the time of their lives. I take another look at the beach and smile out of contentment. The beach is full of people more than the sand. They are lying and sitting on towels and so are we.

I stand up to go to the water. The warm, golden sand runs between my toes with the gentle breeze. Lesedi and Naledi are wondering in some of the pools around.

It was Chris' idea to come to Hawaii with the whole family. Mavis, Courtney, my mother and his mother came along. Even Gift and Thabo are here. Now this is a family vacation. I have never been out of the country before and so far, my experience is great.

The cool water laps at my feet. Even though the sun is beaming in my eyes, I cannot help but smile as the wind caresses my face. Waves crash onto the shore with a soft hiss. I walk further into the ocean, and the level of the water rises to my knees. A chill surges through me. I look back at the rest of my family that is chilling and eating fruit at the beach.

"Are you loving it?" Courtney asks. She planned the whole vacation for us. This girl knows places. She gave me a list of the places we are going to starting from tomorrow. Oahu is a great place.

She said we were going to go to the Bishop Museum, Honolulu Zoo, Ala Moana Center, Polynesian Cultural Center and to the Pearl Harbor. She mentioned many more , saying that Hawaii is more than just a beach and tropical sites. Now this is 'me time' at its best.

"A lot. I can't wait to go to the places you mentioned."

"Hey mom. Can I have money for ice-cream?" Naledi asks.

"Go ask your dad." I tell her and she leaves.

"Where are you going?" I ask Lesedi when I see him walking with some man.

"Jet-skiing." He says. I have no idea what that is but I nod. I want them to have all the fun they can have. I will not hold them back. I tell him to be safe before he leaves.

Courtney tells me we should go on the cliffs to watch Lesedi do this. I run to my mom who is holding my phone to take it. I want to take a video of Lesedi.

His smile makes my heart jump. He climbs on the back and holds the waist of the guy he is with. He holds up a thumbs up to me and I smile.

"Do you want to try it?" Courtney asks.

"No! No!" I widen my eyes.

"Why not? It feels great. It's fun. Don't hold back now, you'll regret it. Have all the fun you want while you can, tomorrow isn't promised. You can't hold back. Actually, I will not let you. We are doing this." This one would be perfect if she did advertising.

"Okay." I sigh. I call Chris to take a video of me, I want to have this memory forever.

Courtney gives me a life jacket to put on and just like Lesedi, I hold on to Courtney's waist. My anxiety starts to pick up. We haven't gone into the water yet and I'm already freaking out but I do not want to make it obvious to Courtney.

This is it. We are going into the water. She starts out slow so that I get used to the feeling of being on a jet ski. As we go further off the land, Courtney picks up the speed and the water splashes my face. My clothes are so wet. But besides being covered in salty water, jet skiing feels great. It felt like freedom, like I had no responsibilities or kids for that matter. I felt unstoppable and on top of the world. Giggles started escaping my mouth and my eyes were closed to avoid the salty water getting into my eyes. I felt like I owned the world as the cool breeze together with the salty water hit my face. I loved this feeling I got from jet skiing and I embraced it— because if I could have it all day, everyday, I definitely would.

It feels awesome!