Chapter 10

Lesedi's POV

A new house? Mom got a house. That is literally the best news I have heard all year. I did not know mom had a plan this whole time.

Chris had asked me to bring mom to the house but that mission was made a lot easier when mom and dad broke up.

When I heard voices on Saturday evening, I peeked and saw them arguing. Mom then told me to go back upstairs and I was grinning. It's evil but it's true. I knew that if they break up, mom would go to Chris' house. I love Chris. He's a good guy and I feel like he's a good boyfriend or whatever to mom.

Mom told us to grab our things and an Uber took us to Chris'. My mission was fulfilled now.
It makes me glad to see mom and Chris together. They are such a perfect match.

But then mom rejected Chris' proposal and I did not get why. Chris was sad, I saw it in his eyes when he went upstairs. I was just shocked. Everybody was. I was mad at mom, why would she hurt the only man who loved her genuinely?

First she left him for my dad, then he went to him only to reject him. What kind of a sick joke is that? What was she even thinking? Is she insane? Chris is a good guy.

Those are the questions I asked myself when I heard her say, "But I cannot marry you."

I could not understand why and if I asked, she would probably tell me that I am too young to understand. That's what she always said to keep me quiet.

A simple explanation would not kill anybody mom!

Although, it would be absurd for her to move from one guy to another, again. Dumping one guy and agreeing to marry the other one a few minutes later, that's not cool at all. Especially because they are best friends. I doubt they still are though.

Chris let us sleep at his house that night. See, he's such a good guy. It was weird seeing him happy the next day though. He was grinning the whole time.

But I know that's just a mask. I know that because I have had that mask my whole life. It hides all your true emotions and exposes only what the world can handle, we don't want people asking too many questions.

Chris was the best and I hate that mom could not see that. A way better man compared to my father. I thought she did not have a plan. I thought we were going back to the streets. I wanted to scold her.

I actually got confused when we took a taxi to my dad's. I thought she was that confused.

I thought, "is this woman insane?"

But we dropped Naledi off, she likes it there. I don't.

Excitement rumbled inside of me when mom wiggled that key in front of my eyes. I knew that it was our breakthrough. I wonder how she managed to keep that a secret for such a long time.

So she had a plan this whole time, I am really proud of her. To me, what's important is that she is trying her level best, she is trying her best to fight this.

Naledi is sleeping at dad's for another week, I'm going to get bored here.

I cannot wait to see her face when she sees the house. If I had a phone, I would take a picture of it. I should have just guilted my dad into buying me a phone.

Mom has been gone with auntie Mavis for thirty minutes now, I do not know what to do in the meantime. Maybe I should go out and make some friends. I need to be-friend stoners though, not people that are going to tell my mother when they see me smoke nor people that would later say I taught them how to smoke or badly influenced them.

Now, how do I find friends that are stoners? I cannot just go up to a person and start asking, "hey, do you smoke weed?" That's just weird and uncool. Also, I need to know where they sell weed around here.

I never got to ask mom if I am still going to attend at that school that Chris enrolled us at or she got a new school for me. But if I stay at that school, I would have to stay with dad and that is the last thing I want.

If I stayed with my dad, that house would be turned upside-down within a week's time. That man irritates me, literally, I do not even want to breathe the same air as him. I only compromised because my mom thought she was "in love" with him again.

I love how I am always right. I told her. I told mom that she was using dad as a rebound and that dad was using her as a rebound as well, and she did not listen to me, instead she said I'm insolent. She never apologized for that, she never aknowledged my sense.

I knew they would not last though, I mean, they both did not let themselves heal. They moved on way too quick and they ridiculed me when I tried speaking some sense into their heads.

Would you just listen to me once mother!

I do not love my dad and I am not afraid to admit it! I despise him even more now that he hurt my mother for the second time. I know mom would not just leave his house or argue with him. When I was standing at the glass rail, I eavesdropped a little and heard mom say that dad moaned Jessica's name while they were kissing.

If mom had just listened to me, she wouldn't have gotten her heart broken by the same man for the second time.

But then, who listens to Lesedi? Lesedi is a dumb fourteen year old who has daddy issues right? It's whatever though, at least now she knows that I speak sense and that she should at least try to listen to me next time.

I wonder what Mavis wanted to show to mom, they've been gone for a long time now.