Chapter 20

Chris' POV

Seeing my mother walk through the door, made my heart jump. I have not seen her in a long while and right now I just want to squeeze her tight.

She looks healthy and happy and her dress sways to the sides as she moves, as though she is deliberately doing it. She is so full of life. Her bright smile awakens something in me, the part of me that has been dead for the past few weeks. It is contagious because I am mirroring it.

She has a leather handbag over her shoulder and I can't help but wonder what it contains because she is over sixty and from what I know, the elderly do not carry handbags.

Why does she look like her forty-year self? Her skin glows and I want to thank the man besides her for keeping my mother happy at all times.

Her facial expression suddenly changes.

"Uh-uh baby what's wrong?" She hurries to me and looks at my face closely, cupping it with both her hands.

"Nothing ma, I am...I am just happy to see you."

"Happy? You are faking your smile baby. Remember, I brought you up so you cannot lie to me."

"Grandma." Gift comes running down the stairs but trips when he gets to the last step and he falls. My mother gets to him before I can and Nina runs up to the bathroom to get the first aid kit.

The people that care about me are all here and that is what is important. But why do I feel incomplete? If I could just have a worry-free Christmas.

"Aw, my grandbaby." I hear Gift whining and I run to him as well.

This kid. This woman. These two are what I live for and that will never change. I am glad Gift came at the right time before my mom could make me talk about what is bothering me. Which I would like to believe that it is nothing. I'd like to believe that I have had some progress during these past few weeks.

I told Mavis to go on a Christmas break so it has just been me and my son in the house for the past few days. And I must say, he has been taking my mind off things a little bit. His stories make me laugh a little, as unbelievable as they are.

Gift was my greatest gift. I remember that I gave him this name because he means so much to me, he is like a gift that I unwrap and find a new surprise everyday. His mother named him Simphiwe. So that's his first name, but we have gotten used to using his second name.

"I thought I would smell the aroma from the gate, why didn't you cook son? Or rather, where is your maid?" My mom asks as she massages Gift's leg. I think he is just whining because he sees his grandma though.

"I really have no excuse for that. Nina, may you please cook supper for us."

"You know your mom won't let me and Joseph said I must tell you that he is coming tomorrow for Christmas dinner."

Oh yea, today is the day before Christmas.

"Okay cool. Mom please let Nina cook for today."

"No, when last did I eat your food?"

"When last did you eat Nina's food?"

"Okay okay, how about I cook?" Nina's dad, my step dad offers.

"No Thuso, Chris has to cook, one way or the other."

"Mom look, let's talk about this. Let me order take-out for tonight, I promise to cook a Christmas feast tomorrow. Please. If I cook today, my enthusiasm for tomorrow's lunch will diminish."