The One

Jughead's POV

"We've been sitting here for ten minutes in the complete silence," I said. "I would like to know everything."

"I don't feel like talking about this with my son." He said.

"I don't care what you feel like doing. Have you been drinking again?" I asked again for what feels like the millionth time. He sighed.

"I've gotten back into the habit again, but I am not an alcoholic." He said. "I was just not feeling so great today."

"When did this start?" I asked.

"Umm, a few months ago?" He said more as a question. I sighed.

"Why didn't you call me?" I asked him.

"Because I didn't want to make you hate me even more than you already do." He said.

"I don't hate you. You're my dad." I said. "When did you become sheriff?" I asked, wanting to change the topic so he didn't have to feel anymore disappointed in himself then he probably already does. He sat up a little bit more.

"Almost a full year," he said. "Its been great."

"Dad, about the Serpents. They aren't doing anything." I told him. "Its all the Ghoulies."

"I need the proof that it is them," he said.

"Do you have proof that the Serpents did it?" I asked. He chuckled.

"You've always been a smart, boy." He said.

"Do you have proof that is was the Serpents?" I asked again. He sighed.

"No," he said.

"So you just went by what people on the Northside said. You should know better then me that all the Northsiders do is try and put the blame on the Serpents." I said. "Sweet Pea asked me to come back because the Seprents were struggling. He thought I could help it. I had no idea what I could do to help."

"I can't just let them go without proof that it wasn't them." He said.

"They shouldn't be in there without the proof that it was them." I told him.

"Look, boy, I know you aren't happy with this, but please stop making this harder than it already is." He said. I shook my head and looked away from him. "Now, would you like to tell me about the girl that was 'with you' earlier?"

"She's my girlfriend." I told him.

"That's nice. How long have you two been together?" He asked.

"A little over a year. I saved her from an abusive boyfriend who would beat her, force himself on her and almost killed her." I said, telling him the truth of it just to get it out of the way.

"You were always a good kid. And it shows better now as an adult. You're still thinking about other people." He said. "What's her name?"

"Veronica. And I love her so much." I told him. He nodded and chuckled. "I hate seeing her sad, or anything that isn't happy. We've never argued and I never plan on doing that ever. I love holding her in my arms and when She's cuddling closer to me when she's asleep. She is so adorable. I love her so much, dad." He chuckled again.

"She sounds like she's the one," he said. I nodded.

"Yeah, I think she is," I mumbled. Then, suddenly all I could think about was Veronica. I smiled to myself.

"Jughead!" My dad said, throwing something at me. I jumped a little and looked at him again.

"What?" I asked.

"You spaced out. You looked like you were daydreaming." He said. I nodded.

"I better get going. She's waiting for me back at the trailer." I told him.

"Oh, when did you move back to the Southside?" He asked.

"A few months ago," I said. "I really have to get going." He nodded and I left. I quickly got back to the trailer. When I got there Cheryl, Toni and Fangs were there. It was quiet. "You guys are still here."

"Yeah, we weren't leaving Veronica here by herself." Toni said.

"Thank you," I said and she nodded. I looked at Veronica.

"Where were you?" She asked, just looking up at me.

"I was with my dad. I'll have to call Sweet Pea later and tell him what he said." I said.

"Well, I better get going. Kevin may wonder where I am." Fangs said.

"It was you!" Toni said.

"What?" Fangs asked.

"Nothing, nevermind." She quickly said.

"Okay?" He said and left.

"Do you think we should get going too, Cher?" Toni asked. Cheryl shrugged.

"I guess we could," she said. Toni stood up.

"I guess we can go now," she said they left together. I looked at Veronica who was already looking at me. She smiled and she started laughing a little. I joined and sat next to her and pulled her close to me. I think she is the one. I want to make her the one.