40) birthday girl

It's been about 3 months since we left France. Life has pretty much been tame. But today is my 18th birthday.

I didn't tell Thomas about it because my birthday isn't something I really look forward to. I know getting older is inevitable but I hate growing up. I want to be free and carefree for as long as I can. Being 18 now, I'm a young adult.

At least I'm old enough to become Tobys legal guardian.

A knock on the door interrupted me from my thoughts.

Thomas, Ames, Carter, and Toby all walked in with a big cake in their hands. Toby was being held by Thomas and I must say that it was the cutest thing ever.

I could help but smile ear to ear. They all surprised me like this. I covered my mouth and smiled. "I know you hate your birthday Charlie, but the day you were born is definitely a day worth celebrating." He held the cake out with lit candles. Everyone began to sing happy birthday and I was most definitely super red right now. Only then did I realize that Thomas found out it was my birthday today, I hope he wasn't mad that I didn't tell him.

Toby leaped our of his arms and hugged me tight.

I closed my eyes and blew out the candles, wishing everything would stay the way that it is. I love living here and seeing Thomas and Ames everyday. Carter come over a bunch to visit Ames and he often brings Toby with him.

"Ahah!!" Everyone cheered. Ames left the room and came back with a couple presents in his hands. I gave him a 'really..' look.

"I'll give her mine first!!" Carter grabbed a light yellow wrapped present and set it in my lap. Thomas turned on the cozy fireplace in his room as I sat in his big bed.

I rolled my eyes with a smile and started tearing open the gift. It was a small white box. Lifted up the lid and a beautiful golden locket showed. I looked at his smiling face. "Open it." Carter instructed. I did as he said and when opening the locket, revealed my favorite picture of my mom on one side and my favorite picture of my dad on the other. "So you have them always."

I threw my arms around him. "This means so much, you have no idea." I kissed his cheek. "I love you, happy birthday munch." He patted my head.

"Me next." Ames pushes him.

He handed me a check and my eyeball near flew out of their sockets when I saw 4 zeros. "$10,000!?"

"I can't accept this". I tried handing it back to him but he wouldn't take it.

"Take it."

"No!!" I forced it into his hands.

"Charlie you know we are loaded right? I just wanted to give you a little something to spend." He picked up a paper weight from the side table and placed it on top of the check.

"A little something!!?" I couldn't believe it. "Just shut up an accept the gift." Ames pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you." I squeezed him tight.

Ames moved out of the way. "Stay here, I'll be right back." Thomas said, leaving the room.

Where the heck is he going? I looked at Ames and Carter and they had a big grin on their faces.

"Close you eyes." I heard him yell from outside of the door. I did as he said. "What's happening?" I laughed.

Something moderately heavy was placed onto my lap. I almost screamed because it started to move around. "Open." He said.

A beautiful golden retriever puppy was in front of me. No way!!! "She's yours." He said.

I squealed and touched his unbelievably soft fur. "Hi baby." I gently pulled her closer to me. "I though I would get you a girl because you have plenty of guys around here." He laid down on his back and allowed the puppy to kiss his face.

Toby was ecstatic, his face lit up and I could tell he wanted to pet her. "Go ahead." I motioned him.

His hand ran along his fur. "She's so fluffy!!" A big smile appeared not his face.

Yep... this was the best birthday ever.

"The chef is making your favorite for breakfast." Carter said. "Pancakes?" I gasp.

"Yep."

I jumped out of bed and held the puppy in my arms.

"Everyone.... welcome Lilo to the family." I kissed her fuzzy head.

"Hello Lilo." Ames pet her. I ran into Thomas' arms and he hugged the two of us.

"Oh... by the way... we are having a little get together at the beach to celebrate your birthday. It's at 6pm." Carter spit out.

I hate parties, especially what happened last time.

"Who is coming." I asked him.

"Us, some of our friends and Bella."

Okay, so it wasn't a bunch of random people. I sighed in relief. "Alright Car I'll be there."

"You kind of have to." He teased.

They all started to leave the room, taking Toby and the cake with them. "I'll be down in 20." I called out.

Thomas shut the door for them on the way out.

I picked Lilo back up and placed her in the bed.

"I have stuff for her downstairs, like toys and a bed and stuff." He landed on his side in the bed, facing me.

"Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday? I had to find out from Carter." He tucked hair behind my ear.

"I don't like my birthday..." I pushed my head onto his hand, wanting his physical contact.

"Why is that?"

"I don't know... after my parents died I just never really got to celebrate it." I fiddled with Lilo's ears.

"Well... now you have us. And I promise to make your birthdays your favorite day of the year from now on."

"It's going to be hard to pass up Christmas..." I teased him. He just playfully rolled his eyes and played with Lilo.

"I like what you named our dog." He kissed my cheek.

Did he say our?

"Our?" I questioned. "Yes... our. I love this little girl." He held her in the air and laughed at the funny faces she made.

He looked to happy. I smiled to myself.

"I'm going to get ready." I hopped out of Thomas' comfortable bed. I never sleep in my room anymore because it's just doesn't compare, plus my boyfriend sleeps here with me and it smells like him.

FOLLOW

FOLLOW

VOTE

COMMENT

XOXO