2) tired

I woke up to Toby shaking me. "Charwie wake up. We have school." I barley got any sleep last night. I kept waking up to nightmares about 'The Monster', who is John if you haven't caught on already. My nightmares occur frequently as are usually very vivid.

My eyes darted open and I scurried around my room to try and get ready. Hopefully John isn't home, I cant deal with him today. My head was pounding and I felt like falling back to sleep. But I try not to miss any days just encase I need to be home with Toby or my injuries are really bad. He thankfully already got himself dressed, so I only had to focus on myself.

My yellow tank top was hanging on my door knob so I threw that on and went to my drawer to get a pair of dark ripped jeans. I paired it with white high top converse. Lastly, the bruises on my arms were visible so i put on my favorite light weight white jacket.

I momentarily looked in the mirror and almost gagged at how bad I looked. My long blonde hair was everywhere and the bruise from last night appeared. Good thing makeup and hair brushs exist.

After I fixed my hair and makeup, I peeked over the banister and saw through the crack of the front window that John was not home. "Come on, its clear," I told Toby. His light feet pitter pattered down stairs.

I went to the kitchen and got 2 apples. Handing one to Toby I tried to make conversation. "Are you ready for your first day of 1st grade?"

"Yes!! Im so excited to see my friends, OH and play at recess, OH AND I'm really excited to learn."

The smile on his face was enough to make one appear on my face. "I'm so glad, Your going to do great. Remember to be polite." I got our backpacks and the keys to my moms old car. Starting up the car, it sounded a little bit weird but it was probably just because it was really old.

After I dropped Toby at school, I pulled up to the only place my step father cant hurt me. School.

Toby probably thinks I'm fearless. But I only stay strong for him. In reality, I am terrified out of my mind. Especially last night. I genuinely thought he was going to kill me. The thought of drowning to death isn't something very peaceful; and I go through that nearly all the time.

The instinct not to breathe underwater is so strong that it overcomes the agony of running out of air. You begin to panic and refuse to breathe. The lack of oxygen in your blood stream causes you to take a breath.

My lungs felt like fire. Nothing is worse then knowing your are going to die and you cant do anything about it. What hurts more, is it being in the hands of your abusive step father.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I hear loud knocking on my passenger window.

I took a deep breath and unlocked the door. My best friend Carter opened the door and flopped on the seat next to me. "Next time, I would appreciate if you knocked a little less 'Help a vampire is chasing me'."

He laughed. "Nah next time, I will just bring a crowbar." A dimple popped out from his cheek.

Carter has been my best friend since birth. Our dads were friends all their lifes, so we pretty much grew up together. I'm glad because Carter is the best person I have ever known.

He plays football for the school, loves to read, and he is amazing at photography. I guess you could say that he is the full package. But I've never thought of him as more then a friend, he's like my older brother.

His baby blue eyes makes any girl melt under them., and his long curly brown hair looks so soft you'd just want to pet it.

I didn't even respond to Carter and walked out of my car, pulling one backpack strap over my shoulder. "Oh come on Char.. whats got your panties in a bunch."

"Nothing, nothing... sorry I'm just tired and barely got any sleep last night." I said forcing a happy smile on my face.

"Why?"

He didn't know about my step father, he could never know. Carter would do anything to protect me, which will end up making things worse. I love him to death but I don't want John to have even more reason to be aggressive.

"I have a chemistry test today and was studying almost all night." I lied. He shrugged it off and hooked my arm in his. Carter was the one normal thing about my life.

The bell rang and we hurried to class, History was first period. Yeah... not ideal.

I sat down at my seat and the teacher began her boring lecture. So boring in fact that I fell asleep.

"Miss Summers, this is not nap time. Please keep your head up and pay attention." she yelled.

The whole class room was looking at me. I want to go hide under a rock. All this attention on me isn't something I'm used to. Nobody even gives me a second look in the hallways.

One boy in particular had dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. Even after everyone continued their work, he was still glancing at me from time to time. I shot him a 'what are you looking at face' and he smiled then looked back at his paper. What a weirdo.

After 30 minutes, the bell finally rang and i quickly walked out of the class room. The boy who was looking at me couldn't seem to keep his eyes off me and it's made me uncomfortable. What if he knows? Omg are any bruises showing? My thoughts apparently distracted me, I fell into him, making me wince in pain. He stood at around 6'0, which was very tall compared to me being 5'1.

I know. I'm short. I got it from my mom.

He was wearing a letter-man jacket that was red, because of our school colors.

"I'm so sorry are you okay?" He sounded sincere. "Yeah." I replied shortly and walked away. Tall scary jock? no thanks.

 Tall scary jock? no thanks

COMMENT

VOTE

FOLLOW

xoxo