4) running

Toby finally did as I said and jumped into my arms. We were both fine and without injury, well at least Toby is, I feel the bruises brewing on my skin and the red ring around my neck.

"Come on follow me," I instructed him.

I knew of a little cabin in the woods a little over a mile from our house. My dad made it for me before he died.

After 20 minutes, we finally reached it. It was about 20 yards from the nearest road.

John had no idea about this place which makes me feel even more safe. It may not have power or water, but at least it was shelter. And most importantly; away from 'The Monster'. The cabin was made out of logs and wooden slabs. You could tell that it was at least 10 years old.

Inside the cabin, it was really dusty and cobwebs were scattered all over the place

Inside the cabin, it was really dusty and cobwebs were scattered all over the place. Some furniture was covered in a white sheet, I pulled it off and dust clouds flew in the air with it; causing me to cough. It was a couch.

This place needs some fixing up but I'm willing to do it. I should've thought about coming here a long time ago.

Guilt fled my head. Maybe if I thought of this sooner, Toby wouldn't have had to experience such violence. But I also wouldn't have had the money that I do now. My mom had a safe that 'The Monster' knew about. So slowly, I would take out money and stash it under the clothes in my drawer. I didn't have time to get the rest that was stashed under the wooden floor in my room.

I looked over at Toby and he had a very nervous expression on his face. "We are safe now,"

"Daddy made me this cabin when I was your age. We will be living here for a little bit until I figure out something more permanent. 'The Monster' doesn't know about this place so we will be safe and I made sure to bring our backpacks for school so we can have some type of normal." He looked very overwhelmed. His little frown was showing.

"Why can't we just be normal kids." My heart broke in half. "We will be, just give me some time. Okay?"

He nodded.

"Good. Now lets rest for the day so tomorrow we can go to the store and get supplies."

His 4 foot body was the perfect length for the couch. I laid his soft yellow blanket over him and placed a kiss on his forehead. "Sleep well baby brother."

There was no way I would be getting any sleep tonight. The only comfortable spot to lay was the old couch but Toby was sleeping on it and I wouldn't have it the other way around.

I made sure the door was locked and sat down on the dirty floor. I'm kind of surprised that nobody has found this place and vandalized it. But I'm glad that nobody did. That means we are hidden, most importantly from 'The Monster'.

"Charwie can we get some candy?" Toby pointed to the sour patch on the shelf

"Charwie can we get some candy?" Toby pointed to the sour patch on the shelf. "No," He pouted. "It is bad for your teeth and I cant pay to get them fixed when your mouth is in pain."

I looked down at the shopping list on my phone. Food, water, air mattress with sheets and comforter, and lastly, some cleaning supplies. We were at our local Walmart, so they pretty much have everything here.

I walked down the bedding isle and threw a pair of light yellow sheets into the cart. Looking to my left, I was immediately drawn to a white comforter with little yellow flowers on it; perfectly matching my sheets. The price for both together was $100. Not how I would like to spend that money but, having a bed is kind of a necessity.

Pushing he cart, Toby and I were in the snack isle. Getting Non perishable things was probably a smart idea. So I got Granola bars, chips, fruit snacks, oranges, apples, canned fruits, paper plates, and 2 sets of 24 water bottles.

But I also needed to provide Toby with healthy things he needs, such as eggs, milk, and vegetables. So I decided to get a mini fridge. It was a whopping $150.

After I purchased everything on my list, which in total was $500. Dang, I'm going to need a job.

 Dang, I'm going to need a job

COMMENT

VOTE

FOLLOW

xoxo