Chapter Ninety-Two: Preparing

Queen Isabella

November 2nd, 1543

After the horrible time with Edward's maternal family Bash had received a letter from his brother, King Sem of the Netherlands, that he wished to visit England and have a sort of trade set up.

Henry quickly agreed and King Sem would be visiting after the New Year.

I sat in my office with Bash and Kenna who were both nervous. Bash's other brother, Alard, who was Kenna's husband was away patroling but wanted nothing to do with preparing for the visit.

"Why won't Alard help?" Greer asked as she passed out goblets for us all.

"Alard and Sem do not get on well. Alard is the oldest of us all but in the Netherlands, our father created the tradition of the King choosing his heir. And he chose Sem." Bash explained and I nodded as I looked to Kenna.

"I do not mind that Alard is not King. I love him as he is." She confessed and I smiled.

"So when do you plan on telling him you are with child?" I asked and Kenna quickly looked up.

"How did you-"

"Kenna, I have three children, almost five. I have been pregnant now four times. I know pregnant women when I see one."

Kenna blushed before nodding.

"I am not very far along. I do not wish to change it. Please no one tell him." She begged and I nodded as I leaned in my chair.

"Alright, so we have the banquet prepared for. What activities does he enjoy?" I asked Bash who unbuckled his sword and finally sat in a chair.

"He enjoys hunting, women, and animals. I would suggest a hunting trip between Henry and him." Bash offered and I reached for my quill and wrote that down in the journal.

"Alright, well I believe we have enough things from our end. Bash can you write to your brother and ask him what things he would like to do here in England?"

"Of course. I'll return when I send the letter." He said as he stood up. He bowed to me for a moment before standing straight and walking out of the office.

"Has Henry come to terms you are expecting two more children?" Kenna asked as she began to tidy up the office and Greer went to get the letters from York.

"Yes. Though it took him a while he has come to terms with me being pregnant again. After seeing Edward's horrid family I believe that is when he is alright with it."

"How horrid were they?"

"Horrid. Jeg forstår ikke, hvordan en sød pige kom fra denne families." (Horrid. I do not understand how a sweet girl came from that family.)

"Må Denne pige hvile let." (May that girl rest easy.) Greer said as she placed the letters in front of me.

"Why are you receiving letters from York?"

"It has gotten rough over there. They are always preparing for an attack even though it is not coming. In two weeks Henry and I will be visiting York to try to change the poverty status and hear their problems." I explained as I reached for my letter opener.

"You are a good Queen, Isabella. You changed the poverty in both Denmark and in Norway. But I do not know if you can change it here." Greer said and I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Why do you say that?"

"Henry should have started changing it from the moment he became King. Instead, he focused on trying to start an heir." She spat and I raised a hand telling her to stop.

"Monarchs rule different. That is why in Denmark and in Norway only Queen's shall rule the throne. We think with our head and not our lady parts."

The two girls stared at me for a moment before I looked down at the letter in my hands.

Dear Queen Isabella,

The people of York have heard the stories of how you have changed the poverty in your two home countries. And we must beg of you to try to help us here. News has reached us that you, along with King Henry VIII will be visiting York on the nineteenth and we are grateful.

Your Majesty, I must beg of you to help. It pains me to see my people suffer and our King does not answer our cries. I pray that you raise the Prince of Wales differently so that whenever that young boy takes the throne he shall help his people and not leave them for dead.

I thank you in advance, Your Majesty,

Lord Thomas Leven

I sighed softly as I folded up the letter and slid it back in the envelope. Before I could say anything the doors to my office opened and in stepped Henry with our children.

"Mor!"(Mother!) The Twins cried out as they ran towards me.

"Hej mine babyer!" (Hello my babies!) I cried out as I opened my arms and the twins threw themselves into my arms.

I kissed both of their foreheads before I felt little arms wrap around me and I lifted my head to see little Henry looking at me.

"Hej, lille Henry." (Hello little Henry.) I whispered as I brought him into my arms and he cuddled into my chest as he wrapped his arms around me.

"I had finished with my first and second council meeting and I decided to go visit these three and then Amelia said let us go visit mama," Henry said and he leaned down and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Well, I appreciate the visit. We just finished planning out our end of King Sem's visit. I told Bash to write to his brother to see what he would like to do here." I explained as I reached for the open page in the journal and offered it to Henry.

He read through it and smiled.

"You always plan these visits wonderfully. I have full faith in you." He stated and I felt myself smiling at him.

"Thank you my love."