Chapter Thirty-Nine: Catherine Brandon

Queen Isabella

September 1st, 1540

I sat behind my desk and answered questions from Jason who was strongly urging for me to come to Denmark and stop a coup that was forming. I grabbed a piece of parchment and began my letter.

Dear Jason,

I have just finished your letter and I will be arriving in Denmark in two weeks time. Keep the coup at bay for as long as you can. I do not know if I will bring my children and have them introduced to a battle at such a young age. My husband will come with me and a portion of his army. Tell the other dukes to prepare for battle.

Your Queen Isabella.

I folded the letter and handed it to Greer who rushed to send it out. A knock came to the door and Lola opened it to reveal a pregnant Catherine.

"Catherine Brandon. You are early." I said as I stood up to greet her. She bowed and I kissed both her cheeks before leading her to my chairs in front of the window. Lola opened the windows and I smiled at the cool air.

Fall was coming soon and I truly missed Denmark in the winter. Hopefully, I could convince Henry for us to hold court in Denmark this winter.

"Lola, please start a letter to my husband and I will sign it. Have it say Denmark is much lovelier in winter than it is over here in England. We don't freeze as much and I would like to hold court in Denmark. You married a woman for two other nations we might well use it." I said and Lola laughed before nodded and walkng to my desk.

"Your Majesty, I was beyond shocked when you invited me here. I know you do not like my husband very much." Catherine began and I nodded.

"Just because I do not like your husband does not mean I do not like you. Please call me Isabella. I also invited you here because I saw how sad you looked at the feast last night. Has something happened between you and Charles?" I questioned as Bash brought the tea over.

"He has taken a french whore." She hissed and I raised an eyebrow.

"Really? No offense but Charles isn't even that handsome." I said and Catherine laughed as she held her belly.

"To you, he may not be but to me, he is the prince that I love. At least I thought he loved me." She whispered and I stared at her for a moment before reaching over and holding her head.

"You must be strong Catherine. Not just for you but for your unborn child as well. This is your first?" I asked and she nodded as she rubbed her belly.

"Yes, I am due any day." She said and I smiled.

"I remember feeling so miserable when I was going to give birth to the twins. It is all worth it in the end." I said as Lola walked over. I took the letter and signed it before folding it.

A guard came in to take it to Henry before I went back to my conversation with Catherine.

"When I look at Charles, all I feel is anger." She whispered and I nodded.

"When I agreed to marry Henry I set a rule that if he was to take another I would leave him and take England as my own," I said and Catherine stared at me.

"What did His Majesty said?"

"He had no choice but to agree. He loved me so much he gave up the one thing people knew of." I said with a smile as I brought my cup of tea up to my lips and took a sip.

"That is very hard to believe but I remember after Charles and I married how the Howards tried to throw a handful of girls to His Majesty and he blew up." She said and I nodded as I stood up and walked over to the window.