Chapter Sixty-Five: Court Day

Queen Isabella

November 1st, 1541

Henry had decided it has been far too long since we had a court day. Where people would set up tents and try to sell us things.

We had set up a bow and arrow tent where people could be taught how to easily hold one.

I held onto Amelia's hand as the children and I walked out into the courtyard where everything was set up.

"What is this for?" Elizabeth asked as she closed her cloak around her.

"A chance to know the people in our court and what they bring for us," I explained as I waved to Greer who stood by her husband and Nicholas.

"Where is the baby?" Edward asked as people bowed their heads at us.

"Inside darling. She is too young to be brought to these events just yet. Why don't you go play with Nicholas?" I offered and Edward nodded before he bowed his head to be and turned towards Nicholas.

"Where is His Majesty?" Elizabeth asked and I frowned hearing how she called Henry that.

"Meeting with Charles. He said he would join us." I said as I placed a hand on my stomach. Unlike my other two pregnancies, this stomach was rather small.

I had visited the physician and he said all was well with the babe growing inside of me. I had just turned three months of my pregnancy and had a small glow on my face.

"Play!" Amelia said as she bounced up and down.

"Lady Byron!" I called out before the older woman appeared next to me.

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"Can you take Amelia and Christian over to the other children and watch them play? They've been trapped inside the castle far too long." I asked and Lady Byron nodded her head before taking Amelia's hand from me and Christian from Elizabeth.

"Be good now!" Elizabeth called out and I laughed before wrapping my arm around her.

"Alright Elizabeth, why don't we do a bit shopping? The book store has a tent set up over there." I offered and Elizabeth smiled at me.

"Can I get new books?"

"Of course you can! You love to read as much as I do." I said with a laugh as we walked over to the tent. The bookkeeper bowed lowly before smiling.

"Queen Isabella and the Princess Elizabeth! Welcome to my tent. Are you looking for anything in particular?"

"I would like some french poetry," Elizabeth stated and the bookkeeper grinned.

"Wonderful! We just received Hepatameron from France. For you Princess, it will be ten pounds." He said and Elizabeth dug into her purse and handed him the money.

"And for you, Your Majesty?"

"One of my ladies spoke of a book, On the Errors of the Trinity as well as Baptistes by George Buchanan," I said and we must have made his day the way his eyes lit up.

"Your Majesty you have a wonderful taste! I have those in the back." He said as he hurried and went towards the back of the camp.

"Your Majesty," A voice said and I turned to see Catherine Brandon.

"Catherine! It's wonderful to see you again." I said and she smiled at me.

"Your Majesty I came to warn you." She said and I raised an eyebrow.

"Warn me? About what?"

"The Howards, they are cousins of the Boylens. And they have brought there nineteen-year-old daughter Lady Katherine Howard to court."

"I received no news of someone being brought to court."

"You will soon because His Majesty will place her as one of your ladies. Which is why I came to ask you first. To be one of your ladies first." She said and I turned to Elizabeth who nodded.

"He did this to my mother. Lady Byron told me this is when he brought Edward's mum to court." She whispered and I turned to Catherine and over her head, I saw Henry and Charles walking towards me.

"Lady Catherine Brandon, Duchess of Suffolk. I hereby accept your proposal to join my ladies filling the void that has been there. You are now sworn to my service and my service alone." I said loud enough for everyone to hear.

I watched as Henry and Charles froze before Catherine bowed low in front of me.

"I swear to you my Queen to be by your side always." She said and I smirked before turning to the bookkeeper. He sent me a wink before handed me the two books.

"On the house Your Majesty. May God bless you."

"And may He bless you as well, Your Grace," I said before I turned and began leading Elizabeth away.

"Bella!" I heard Henry call out and I handed Catherine the books before turning to him.

"Henry," I said and he flinched before sighing.

"You know?" He whispered and I stepped closer to him before smiling.

"You are very lucky I am pregnant Henry. I have no choice here if you take a mistress. It seems no matter what you will always break your promises. But I would like to meet her." I said and I watched as his face went white.

"Who told you?"

"Please Henry. So many waits for you to be off the throne and since I am raising your heir and spare I become regent. So either I meet her before you announce it or I take my own whore."

"And who would pick you?"

"Bash of course. I was supposed to marry him before he went to war. Or simply I can invite the Duke of Oslo to England for the winter court." I said before I bowed my head.

"Your move Henry!" I called over my shoulder and Elizabeth smiled at me.

"I think it's time to call Mary home."

"I believe so as well Lizzie."