Chapter Fifty-Four: Funeral

Queen Isabella

March 4th, 1541

I placed the black veil over my head before Henry handed me my gloves. We had just left the church after Arthur's funeral services.

My poor child.

They were laying him in the ground at the moment and I couldn't bear to watch him.

Watch as they took away my child from me for the last time.

I sat in the carriage holding Amelia in my arms as she tried to get her way out of my arms. Henry held Christian in his arms and Elizabeth sat with Edward on the other side.

"Momma, are we going home soon?" Edward asked and I looked at him for a moment before nodding.

"Yes, we leave for England tomorrow morning. We are having spring court in Buckingham Palace right?" I asked Henry who nodded.

"Yes, we haven't been to Buckingham in a very long time I thought it was time to go back." He explained before the carriage stopped and I looked to see the castle waiting for us. Henry was the first one to climb out before he turned around and offered me his hand.

I gently took it before I stepped out of the carriage and held my head up high as I began walking towards the castle.

Waiting outside was Greer, Lola, Kenna, and Aylee.

"Lola, take the twins and lay them down for their nap," I stated and Lola nodded as she bowed her head at me.

"Of course, Your Majesty." She said as she took Amelia out of my arms before Henry handed her Christian.

"Come on Edward. Let us go get some snacks." Elizabeth said and I smiled at the two of them.

"Do not forget we are all having dinner together tonight," I called out and the two of them turned to me.

"Will Mary, Phillip, and Catherine be there?" Edward asked and I turned to Henry who shook his head.

"No. Mary and Phillip left for Wales last night. I need the two of them to control some rebels." Henry said and the two nodded as they bowed their heads and went to the kitchens.

"This letter came for you two during the service," Greer said as she handed a letter to Henry. I looked over his shoulder at the letter.

Dear Henry and Isabella,

I was so pained to get the news of the murder of my youngest nephew Arthur. I hear the two of you are returning to England for Spring Court back at Buckingham Palace.

If it does not trouble the two of you I would like to come and visit. It's getting lonely sometimes Methven Castle and it has been years since I have seen my dear brother. Write back when you get this letter.

Also, Bella, know that this is not your fault. Arthur was not meant to last on this earth that long. You and my brother will have more healthly and beautiful children.

With love,

Margaret, Queen of Scots.

I turned to Henry who was smiling softly.

"Margaret does have her own way with word. Greer, can you write to her and tell her to come one week after we return home to England?"

"Of course, Your Majesty. I'll start on the letter right now." She said as she bowed her head before turning and walking back into the castle.

I looked at Henry before taking a deep breath.

"Kenna, Aylee. We are going on a walk ladies." I said as I leaned over and kissed Henry on the cheek before I turned and led the ladies towards the pond.

I sat myself down on one of the benches before I felt the girls next to me.

"His Majesty is worried about you," Aylee asked and I turned to her.

"How old are you Aylee?"

"Sixteen, ma'am."

"We are four years apart. But we are expected to have children young. I almost died giving birth to those beautiful twins. When I found out I was pregnant with Arthur I was so terrified I would die." I began as I looked out towards the pond.

"When he was born and they placed him in my arms I felt so happy. And for my bastard brother to take him away from me. The pain will stay for a very long time." I finished and Aylee cleared her throat.

"When I was twelve years old I was raped by my Uncle and gave birth to a handsome little boy. He lived for three days. I would listen at night as they tried to nurse the two of us back to health. I can still hear him struggling to breathe." She began and I turned to her.

"I know the pain you suffer, Your Majesty. The pain does go away and you will always love your little boy." She said and I smiled as I reached over and squeezed her hand.

"Thank you Aylee. And please do not call me Ma'am. It makes me feel very old." I said and she laughed before Kenna turned around.

"Is something wrong?"

"Someone is coming, Your Majesty." She said and I stood up as I saw Emili walking towards us.

"Emili!" I cried out as I rushed over to my father figure and threw myself in his arms.

"Oh, my sweet girl. I came as fast as I could." He whispered as he kissed my forehead and we pulled apart.

"Who wrote to you?"

"Henry did of course. He wrote explaining how concerned he was for you. My dear, I knew how much you loved that child growing inside of you." He said and I smiled at him.

"Thank you for coming to me, Emili. You do not know how happy that makes me." I explained and Emili brushed some of my hair away from my face.

"Come, my sweet girl. Let us get you something to eat and then you can rest." He said and I nodded as I leaned into him.

"Yes, Emili," I said before I followed him back into the castle.