Chapter Fifty-Three: Why

Queen Isabella

March 3rd, 1541

I followed Bash down the stairs and into the dungeons. Henry was making the funeral arrangements with the help of Mary while I would be helping Bash integrate Elijah.

"Bella, you do not need to do this." Bash said as he helped me down the stairs and held the door opened.

"I do. He killed my son and I want to know why." I said as I fixed my black skirt.

Mourning clothes. In Norway, we mourn the dead for a month but wear black clothes only for a week.

"I helped Henry carry you to your chambers. Bella, you cried yourself to sleep." Bash said as we stopped in front of the cell.

"Little sister. I thought you would never come to see me." Elijah said and I almost gasped when I saw bruises all over his face.

"You bastard. Address your Queen with respect." Bash hissed as Elijah stood up.

"I heard the mourning bells. Every morning and every night." Elijah continued and I glared at him.

"You are scheduled to die tomorrow mourning. At sunrise, you shall be executed. Before that happens I need to know something." I said as steady as I could.

Images of Arthur lying dead flashed before my eyes and I blinked quickly.

"You want to know why I went after Arthur," Elijah said and Bash punched him in the face earning blood to spill out of his mouth.

"He was innocent. My children are innocent. They had nothing to do with what was going between us." I stated but Elijah shook his head.

"You never deserved that crown you wear upon your head. Our father loved you so much he never paid attention to me." Elijah hissed and I rolled my eyes as I stepped towards him.

"Papa loved me. It was not my fault my mother killed yours. Papa could've protected you but he chose not to."

"But because of some bitterness you held towards him you moved it towards me. And because of that, you decided to kill my child. My baby who could not defend himself." I hissed before I bent down and stared at him.

"I will be glad when they kill you tomorrow. I hired the worst executioner in Norway so it shall be even more painful. Bash and his men have raided your homes and found your letters. After you die your helpers will die as well." I spat as I reached up and gripped his hair.

"When you get to hell make sure you say hello to my mother for me. May you both burn in the pits of hell for all of eternity." I said before I smashed his head into the ground and he let out a yelp.

I stood up and brushed my hands before I turned and walked out of the cell. When Bash closed and locked the cell I turned around to face Elijah one more time.

"Anything you would like to say before I leave? It'll be your last chance." I said with a smirk as Bash went for his sword just in case.

"I got to you and I will haunt you for years. I did what I needed to do." Elijah said with a smirk on his face. I glared at him before I turned and walked back up the stairs.

"Did that help you in any way?" Bash asked as we made our way back through the halls.

"It did. I found out why he did everything." I said before I heard running and I looked up to see Edward and Elizabeth running towards me.

"Mama!" Edward called out and I smiled as I opened my arms and hugged both of them.

"Mine dyrebare barn." (My precious children) I said as I released them and stared at them for a moment.

"Are you all done with your lessons?" I asked as they reached for my hands and we began making our way to my office.

"We just finished. Papa said you were in the cells." Elizabeth said and I nodded.

"I was. I was speaking to Elijah before he dies tomorrow." I said and Elizabeth nodded.

"Papa said that the funeral is in two days and then we will leave for England," Edward said as Bash opened the doors for us and we walked inside.

"Yes, we were going to stay for the twins birthday ball but we will have it in England. I just want to go home." I said and Edward looked up at me and smiled.

"Everything will be alright mama. Do not worry. Once he is dead everything will be fine." He said and I stared at him for a moment before I brushed some of his blonde curls back and patted his cheek.

"Jeg vet min kjære. Tack." (I know my love. Thank you) I whispered as I broke apart from them and went to my desk and picked up the letters waiting for me.

"Do you require help?" Elizabeth asked as she fixed her headpiece.

"Not at the moment. Why don't you two go play with the twins? They need help practicing walking." I offered and Edward jumped up and bowed.

"I will do that mama. I shall see you at dinner." He said and I nodded my head as he turned and walked out of the office.

"Elizabeth you do not need to watch over me. I am alright." I said as I sat down and she turned to me.

"I must. I lost one mother when I was only two years old. I refuse to lose another mother." She said and I froze for a moment before standing up and walking towards her.

"You will not lose me Elizabeth. The moment you lose me is the day I shall join heaven. And that will not be until I am very old." I explained with a smile.

"Are you positive?"

"Very. Now help me respond to the King of France and Queen of Spain."