Chapter One Hundred and Five: Letters

Queen Mary of Spain

April 1st, 1544

I sat with Elizabeth and Edward as we looked around our fathers office. Rarely we were ever allowed in here. So for our father to summon us here and have us waiting was a shock. 

"Why do you think he wants us here?" Edward asked and I placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled. 

"Because he is the King and our father. Plus he probably heard I told Bella the truth of our siblings titles." I explained as the door opened and in stepped our father along with four page boys holding boxes. 

"Children. I know you must be confused on to why I summoned all of you here." He said as he stood in front of us. I was shocked to see him having a cane to support him. 

"Not confused just very surprised father." Elizabeth said as she kept her eyes on the page boys. 

"In each box are letters between your mother and I." 

"There is four boxes Your Majesty." Edward said and our father smiled at him before nodding. 

"Yes my dear boy. The fourth one are letters between Bella and I. If you would like to look at those as well. I have council meetings so you three are welcomed to stay here until I come back. Good day children." He said as he bowed his head to us. Edward and Elizabeth bowed low to him and I nodded my head. 

Now as Queen I didn't have to curtsy anymore to him. He stared at me for a moment before walking out of his office. The page boys set the boxes down in different parts of the office and one turned to me. 

"Your Majesty. This box contains the letters between His Majesty and the Dowager Princess of Wales, your Lady Mother." He announced before he bowed his head and walked away. 

I walked over to the table and sat down. I stared at the box for a moment before lifting the lid and smelling the oil my mother used to use when she wrote her letters. I picked up the first letter and began to read. 

Henry, 

I write this to let you know I am with child again. I know we have not had the lords blessing when  it comes to having children ever since we lost our little Henry. I know you still blame me for it. I laid him gently in his cot and went for prayer. He was wrapped tightly in his blanket and I still do not know how it got lose and covered his face. 

I plan on going into confinement earlier than with any of my last pregnancies and I pray every day our child survives and lives long enough to be your heir. 

I pray this will be the one Henry. 

Your Most Faithful servant,

Queen Catherine of Aragon

I looked at the date of the letter and it was five months before my birthday. She was pregnant with me and thought I was a boy and could be heir to the throne. 

"Mama, if only you were here to see me be Queen of Spain" I whispered as I placed the letter down and turned to Elizabeth who was walking towards me. 

"It mentions you in this." She said and I took the letter out of her hand and sighed. 

Dearest Henry, 

Court life without you here bores me very easily. As the day grows closer to our beloved son being born I ask we return Mary back to court. We do not have to reinstate her as a Princess but to bring her here as a joined supporter of our love and marriage. 

I know how much you miss your daughter Henry even if you don't allow yourself to publicly admit it. 

I believe our son and future children should know their sister. Whether she stays the way of the Catholic faith or finds it in herself to join the Protestant religion. We should welcome her back with open arms. 

When my parents sent me away to France and my sister asked for me to come home I thought my parents hated me. I believed they never wanted to see me again. The reason I bring this up, as I stated, the day grows closer of our golden child being brought into this world by the Almighty Himself. I do not want Mary to hate us any longer. 

I count down the days until I see you again. 

Your Wife

Anne

"You thought my mother didn't like you." Elizabeth whispered and I nodded as I folded the letter and handed it back to her. 

"I did. From what everyone told me I truly thought she didn't like me." 

"She called me her Golden child. Do you think she still called me that even after she knew I was a girl?" 

I smiled at Elizabeth before I reached over and grabbed her hand. 

"You were the light of your mothers eyes. Every time she came to see you which was nearly four to five times a week her eyes would light up with such joy. She would snatch you from your wet-nurse and cuddle you." I explained and Elizabeth smiled. 

"You still are her golden child. Go and read more of your letters." I finished as I stood up and walked over to the box that held letters between our father and Bella. 

I opened the box and grabbed the letter that was written on white parchment with a hint of vanilla on the paper. 

Harry, 

Denmark is well and I count the days until I can return to you and my wonderful step children. Amelia and Christian are doing well but they do miss you. I know they miss hearing your laugh everyday and that when someone else tries to laugh around them they do not seem as happy. 

I know how busy you must be but I hope this letter finds you well. I look forwards to our horse rides when I get back to England in two weeks. Or our walks around the garden. The gardens here in Denmark are gorgeous, believe me, but I believe me being in England for so long has gotten me use to how things are over there. 

I miss you voice and the sound of your heart beating as we lay in bed together. I miss lounging around our bedroom chambers together as the fire is blazing and it is only us two. 

Write me back once you get the moment. 

Your dutiful wife,

Queen Isabella. 

She loved my father more than anything in this world. My only question would be, 

"Why did father give us these boxes?" Edward asked as he stood up and fixed his jacket. 

"I do not know Edward. But I plan on finding out myself."