Chapter Sixty-Nine: Avon Estate

Queen Isabella

December 18th, 1541

I held Bash's hand as he helped me step out of the carriage. I looked up and saw Avon Estate and smiled. I placed a hand on my stomach before I turnaed behind and helped Amelia and Christian out of the carriage.

"This is our new home for a while," I explained before servants came out and began helping bring all our things inside.

Lady Bryan walked towards me and held both the twin's hands as she helped them up the stairs and inside the estate.

"It is a beauty," Greer said as she walked over to me with Nicholas and Bella with her.

"It is. Has word reached Henry yet?" I asked as I began making my way inside.

"To my knowledge word has spread of many people seeing their Queen leaving the court." She said as a valet opened the door and we stepped into the foyer.

Once you walked inside you were meant with great warmth and a balcony to look at whoever came inside.

I turned left and spotted a sitting room that was filled with books and a huge fireplace. I smiled before walking through the sitting room and saw a small chapel.

Across from the sitting room would be my office. A desk, chair, bookshelf, and sofas were already there.

"Would you like to see your room?" Greer offered and I nodded before we walked up a spiral staircase and onto the second floor.

"This is only the front part of the estate. We are thirty minutes away from court. The back part of the estate has a lush garden, stables, a pond, and a personal blacksmith." Greer gushed before we stopped at the third door on the right.

"Your room." She said as she opened the door and we both stepped inside. There was a small sofa and steps when I stepped inside.

"I want curtains for my bed," I said and Greer smirked at me.

"I knew you would and they should arrive in two days." She said and I shrugged my coat off and walked up the small steps before sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Bella, talk to me. What are you thinking about?" Greer asked as she stepped towards me and offered me the babe.

"I am thinking about how I am losing my husband. I was run out of my court my a whore." I whispered as I looked down at the little girl in my arms and smiled at her.

"Hopefully by the time you are of age to marry, the men will finally have their life together," I said and Greer snorted.

"Men will never be like that. Sometimes you need to leave in order for them to know what they have missed." She said and I nodded before I gave her the babe back and stood up.

"Elizabeth and Edward. Will they be coming soon?" I asked and Greer nodded.

"They should be arriving in two days with Mary and Phillip. Mary does not know if they will be able to stay." Greer said and I rolled my eyes.

"Of course! Because my husband is an arse!" I hissed before someone knocked on the door.

"Breathe! You yelling is not good for your babe!" Greer said as she laid Bella on the bed and walked to the door.

A maid stood there wearing a cloak and clutching a letter.

"It is for Her Majesty. It's from His Majesty and he demands she reads it at once and I return with an answer." She said and Greer nodded as she took the letter from the maid and handed it to me.

I rolled my eyes as I opened the letter and saw Henry's handwriting.

Dear Bella,

It has come to my attention that you have left the court and have taken the twins with you. I never once thought it would come to this.

Lady Katherine Howard is nothing more than a whore. Someone who I do not see more than once a day. She has no standing here in court.

You are my wife who I have fought to court and marry. I vowed in front of God I would never take another wife. Please return to court. Even if it is only for Christmas day.

Your Husband,

King Henry VIII

I looked over the letter before stepping to my small desk and sitting down. I grabbed a piece of parchment before turning to the maid.

"Go sit by the fire and wait. Greer will bring you the letter once I am finished." I ordered and the maid bowed her head before turning and walking away.

I reached for my quill and began my letter.

Dear Henry,

It is true I have left court. I do not know when I will return. You have broken yet another promise to me. You have taken a whore and you parade her around court.

I am your Queen and I should be the only woman you sleep with. I have the twins with me and they are wonderful and safe and shall continue their lessons daily.

Edward and Elizabeth will be joining me soon for a visit. Do not try to contact me again Henry.

Queen Isabella of Denmark and Norway.

I folded the letter up and handed it to Greer who was balancing baby Bella on her hip.

"Are you alright?" She whispered and I inhaled deeply before shaking my head.

"No, I am not. Make sure the twins are bathed and in bed by eight. They may stay up a little later tonight." I whispered as I stood up and made my way to my bed.

"Would you like dinner to be sent up around six?"

"Yes, along with my books. I plan on staying in here until my other children come." I said and Greer smiled before bowing her head and walking out of the room. I looked around the room before reaching for my prayer beads.

"Loving God, please grant me peace of mind and calm my troubled heart. ... Give me the strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose and walk the path you've laid out for me."

Avon Estate

Avon Estate

Bella's Bedroom

Bella's Bedroom