Chapter One Hundred and Four: A New Normal

Queen Isabella of Denmark and Norway 

March 20th, 1544 

I watched as the soldiers and maid brought in my things. Henry, after I agreed to stay in England with him being sick, gave me ownership of Buckingham Court. 

Elizabeth and Edward could come and go as they please which made me very happy as I didn't want to lose that bond with the children I grew to love so much. 

"Your Majesty." I heard someone call out and I looked to see a page boy walking towards me. He bowed low before handing me a little. 

"From the King. He tells me to wait until you read it and return with a response." He stated and I smiled at him before pulling ten pounds from my pouch and handing it to him. I carefully opened the letter and smelled Henry's scent. 

Dearest Bella, 

Today I have told Elizabeth and Edward the true reason we divorced. Elizbeth, reminded me very much of her mother when she screamed at me. But Edward shocked me the most. It's like he knew all along I was sick and just being stubborn. 

While I hope you are settling into Buckingham Court and finding your grounds as the head I write to also say Mary has not left. She did send her children back to Spain to be with their father but she refuses to return. 

I believe you could speak to her. Tell her that her children need her back in Spain and not here watching her father die. Whispers have started already in court. Edward begins tomorrow his new classes on how to be a true Tudor King. But I write to ask that when I die you become Edward's regent. Just until he turns twenty-one. 

I trust you more than the Seymour family and you have been regent before. England loves and supports your wisdom and you know how to run a country. Send your answer back with the boy. 

Forever yours, 

Henry

I folded the letter up and smiled softly. 

"Tell His Majesty I agree to be regent. Ask him to please send all the paperwork. And then once you see him send Mary to me." I asked but the door opened and I saw Greer rushing towards me. 

"No need for the last part. Infanta Mary of Spain, Your Majesty." She said as the page boy rushed out of the room as Mary entered. 

"Mary! You are meant to be on a boat with your children to Spain!" I said as I handed the letter to Greer. 

"And you are meant to be on your way to Denmark! You told me you gave up and wasn't going to fight even after he lied!" 

"You will watch your tone and how you are speaking to me. I am still a Queen and you are only an Infanta." I hissed as she stepped in front of me. 

"You made me an Infanta. You reunited England and Spain through my marriage. Why haven't you left?" 

"You begged me to stay Mary! Why change your mind now?" I asked as I wrapped my hands around my swollen belly. I was due in all of two months to give birth to another set of twins. 

"I've seen him do this before. To my mother. To Anne and to Jane. Begging them to stay when they could've lived if they left." She whispered as her eyes welled up.

"Come. Let us sit and talk somewhere else." 

I turned and let her to my red sitting room. I smiled as I saw her eyes widen when she saw how I had everything decorated. The guard bowed his head to us as I took my seat at the bigger chair and motioned for Mary to sit down. 

"So, your father has done this before?" 

"When my mother lost my little brother she begged my dad for another chance. I was five and I at the time didn't understand why I couldn't be Queen." She said as a maid brought over a tray of tea. 

"And as well as Anne and Jane?" I asked as I felt the twins kicking hard. 

"When Anne caught my father with Jane she was so distressed. I felt horrible for her. He chased after her and begged for forgiveness. Then with Jane, she did not get pregnant right away like you did. He hated her for that and spoke so rudely to her." 

"Mary-" I began but the door opened and in stepped Lola. 

"Your Majesty. Your Highness. We have received news from Spain." She said and I saw Mary's face fall. 

"Phillip's elder brother is dead. They have declared Phillip King. Meaning, Mary, you are now Queen of Spain." Lola explained and I smiled as I turned to Mary. 

"Bravo Mary! It's what your mother always wanted." 

I watched as the color came back to her face before she cleared her throat and looked at Lola. 

"When does Phillip want me to return?" 

"After Bella gives birth. He knows how much you wish to be here for it and he doesn't want to take that away from you. He will hold a two month mourning period and then preparations will take at least another month or two." 

"Thank you Lady Lola. You may leave us now." I said with a smile as Lola bowed her head and left the sitting room. 

"Bella, my father is not kind. He has not changed." 

"He started Edward's lessons to be King." 

"But has declared you regent. Edward won't live long, he's always been sick. He lied Bella. He took Christians titles away. I have proof." She said as she reached into her pocket and pulled a letter out. 

She handed it to me and when I unfolded it I saw Henry's signature: 

By the order of the King, Henry VIII, the children of Queen Isabella and I share shall not have their English titles. They shall be referred to as their Norwegian and Danish titles.

"He lied to me." 

I looked towards Mary and sighed. 

"Fine, he wants to lie I can lie back. I can play with fire as well."