Chapter Eighty-Five: Leaving for Denmark

Queen Isabella

August 21st, 1542

I handed Henry over to Aylee as we all climbed onto the boat. We were finally leaving for Denmark and hopefully, if the weather was good we would be in Denmark by the beginning of September.

I inhaled softly before turning to the ground and saw Henry speaking to Charles who would be in charge until we return for winter court.

"Are you excited to go back home?" Greer asked as she held tightly onto Nicholas's hand. Rose was still ill and while Greer would come with me to Denmark her husband will stay here with Rose.

"Very excited. Greer, you know that you do not need to come with me. Not while Rose is ill." I said and I watched as Greer's eyes welled up before nodding.

"I know but even as a mother my first duty was with you." She said and I stared at her.

"That will change. Your first duty is a mother. I am a mother first, then a wife, and lastly a queen." I explained before Henry boarded the boat and leaned against the railing.

"Are you alright?" I asked as I went to step towards him but Henry held his hand up.

"I am fine. My leg is bothering me so I am going to sit in our room for a while." He said and I nodded before watching him go downstairs with one of his pageboys behind him.

"Is Henry alright?" Bash asked as he stepped behind Greer and me.

"His leg is bothering him that is all. Are you happy to go back to Denmark?" I asked and Bash chuckled softly before his hand rested in front of him.

"Very. My brother wrote to me again. He has been speaking to Kenna." He said and my eyes flashed towards my other lady who was holding tightly onto the twins as she showed them the boat that passed by.

As we began moving I couldn't help but smile knowing I would be going home.

"How long has your brother and Kenna been writing to one another?" Greer asked with a laugh as Nicholas broke apart from her and rushed to Kenna and the twins.

"Over a month now I believe. He fancies her very much." Bash said and I chuckled before stepping towards the railing and breathing in the sea air.

"I always loved being on the sea. The air was always fresh and the rocking never bothered me very much." I stated and Greer rolled her eyes.

"Are we going to ignore the fact Kenna is writing to a Prince of the Netherlands? She will never leave what marriage will that be?" She asked and I shot her a look before looking to Bash.

"Does your brother know that if he wishes to marry Kenna he needs to ask me for permission?"

"I told him that when he asked for me to give Kenna his letter." He said with a smirk. Soon the workers for the boat came out and a maid made her way to me and bowed her head.

"Shall I bring some chairs for you, Your Majesty?" She asked and I nodded.

"If you do not mind. I wish to stay out here for a while. After bringing us chairs may you check on my husband and eldest step-children? Make sure they are alright?"

"Of course, Your Majesty." She said as she bowed her head before turning and walking away.

"What is wrong with Henry's leg?" Bash asked once the chairs were brought out five minutes later by some of Bash's men.

"Around the time Elizabeth was a year old Henry was in a jousting accident. When he fell the bottom of his right leg was ripped open and he almost died. I was told Anne suffered a miscarriage when they told her there was a chance he could die." I explained and Greer winced.

"When we get to Denmark I shall arrange for him to see one of our best physicians." She said and I smiled at her.

"Thank you, my friend. If I must confess I am not looking forward to meeting Gustaf."

"Why? His forefathers signed the treaty of peace." Bash said and I nodded as I looked at him.

"Exactly bash. His forefather signed the treaty with my mother. Gustaf did not sign it. I believe that is what he is going to say to me when we meet at the border." I said as I closed my eyes and let the wind breeze past my face.

"Hvis han siger, at han er en fjols. Kommer Henry med?" (If he says that, he is a fool. Is Henry coming with?" Greer asked and I opened my eyes to her.

"Jeg vil have ham til. Men det afhænger af hans ben." (I want him to. But it depends on his health.) I whispered before I heard a cry and looked towards the door to see Aylee coming up with Henry.

"I just cannot get him to sleep," Aylee said as she reached me and lowered my son into my arms. Henry was now three almost four months old now.

He is how old Arthur was when he was murdered by my brother.

"It is alright Aylee. How are Edward and Elizabeth?" I asked as I fixed Henry in my arms and rocked him softly.

"Edward is eating his lunch now and Elizabeth has her nose in her mother's old prayer book. Elizabeth told me her mother wrote notes in her prayer book." Aylee said and I nodded.

"Every since Mary's funeral Elizabeth has been difficult. Her temper is becoming more and more like Henry's every day." I stated and Bash nodded.

"She wishes for me to teach her sword playing while we are on the boat."

"No, I shall teach her when we land in Denmark. You may tell her that."