Chapter Eighty-Two: Summer Fun

Queen Isabella 

July 15th, 1542 

Summer was always my favorite and I hope one day I could return to Norway and celebrate Summer court there. 

I sat in the garden with little Henry sleeping peacefully in his cradle that Bash had carried out. 

I watched as Edward and Charles practiced with wooden swords on the right moves. I couldn't help but wish it was Henry showing Edward these things instead. 

I turned my head to the right and watched as Lady Cathrine Brandon showed Amelia and Elizabeth how to properly cut the flowers without making themselves breathe. 

"Christian?" I called out when I did not see him. I heard his laughter and smiled when I saw him being carried on Bash's shoulder as they ran around the pond. 

Everyone in court decided to be outside and tents had been set up for food, shade, and many other things. I watched as Elizabeth broke away from her sister and walked over to me. I reached for a water goblet and handed it to her. 

"Do you want to go inside? I know you are finally feeling better." I said and Elizabeth shook her head. 

"I am a fine momma. Can I go to the bow and arrow tent? I will take Lady Aylee with me." She said and I laughed softly before nodding. 

"Of course. But stay where Lady Aylee can see you. And you must tell her everywhere you are going." I said and Elizabeth bowed her head before turning and rushing to Aylee. 

I looked down at the letters Greer had brought to me earlier before returning inside to deal with sick baby Rose. 

A part of me feared Rose would not survive the fever she has had for over two weeks but I did not want to say anything to Greer to upset her any further. James had finally arrived and would not leave Greer's side. 

I lifted the first letter from the Pope and sighed as I opened it. 

Dear Queen Isabella, 

It has been brought to my attention that the King of Sweden has an army laying on your border. If it must come to war please know I side with the Danish and Norwegian people. 

If war comes knows that my soldiers will be at your command. Though it would be your first war as a Queen I know you will led your people to victory. I also write to you to let you know my dear girl that a rumor is spreading that Henry plans on divorcing you soon. 

If that happens I advise you to leave England quickly with your children and never return. 

Your Eminence, 

Alessandro Farnese

I froze as I read the last part again and folded the letter up and placed it back in the envelope. I motioned for a page boy to come to me. 

He bowed slowly before standing up straight. 

"How may I serve you, Your Majesty?" He asked and I smiled at him.

"Bring this to His Majesty. And ask him if he shall join his family for court outside today?" I asked and the boy nodded as he took the letter from me and made his way inside. 

I stared after him for a moment before I heard little Henry begin to cry. I quickly bent down and took him out of the cradle. I took the blanket off of him and sat my two-month-old son on my lap. 

I bounced him softly on my leg and he slowly stopped crying and opened his eyes and stared at me. 

"Det er okay lille Henry. Momma er her." (It's alright little Henry. Momma is here.) I whispered as I brushed his ginger hair back. He let out a quivering sigh before pouting. 

I let out a little laugh as I lowered him to lay flat in my arms and traced my finger over his cheek. 

"Det var Kun et mareridt. Intet mor kan ikke kæmpe væk." (It was only a nightmare. Nothing momma cannot fight away.) I said as he stopped pouting and grinned behind me. I turned around and saw Henry walking towards me. 

He waved at me and I quickly stood up and bowed my head at him. 

"Henry, I did not know you were joining court outside today," I said as he placed his hand on little Henry's head. 

"I was not going to. But then I heard everyone was here and I decided to join." He said before he nodded at me and I placed our son in his arms. 

"Good. The children were looking for you." I confessed as he looked around for our four eldest children. 

"If only Mary and little Cathrine were here to join us for this fun." He said and I smiled at him. 

"I was telling Greer the same thing as she was helping me dress," I said and Henry frowned. 

"Baby Rose is still not well?" 

"No, I fear she may not survive it. I do not know how to tell my friend to prepare for her child's death. For I did not even know." I stated and Henry nodded before he stepped closer to me. 

"I feel as if Henry looks more like us then the twins do." He said and I laughed softly. 

"No, he looks every bit like you do. He has your hair much as Elizabeth does." I said and he nodded before staring at me. 

"I am not going to divorce you." He whispered and I nodded. 

"I know my love. I just wish to know who told the Pope this." I said and Henry nodded before Lady Byron walked to us and Henry handed her the baby. I smiled as the music began and Henry offered me his hand and bowed his head to me. 

"May I have this dance?" He asked and just like that he melted me down to my knees. 

"Of course, Your Grace," I whispered as I took his hand and allowed him to lead me towards the dance area. 

As I lifted my hand above my head to mirror his I could not help but remember this is how I fell in love with Henry. 

Through dance.