•Prologue•

*Two weeks Prior*
~~~~~
3 years.

Nia had given this man 3 years of her life...That's three years she will never get back. Her marriage had some good times, and some bad, but no matter what she always tried to keep it together in the first 6 months at least. After Nia and her now ex-husband Derek had been married for half of the year, things were nothing like the fairytales she'd read about as a girl.

First came arguments, then came the threats...oh, and how could she forget the abuse.

She'd told herself for months that it was just a "rough patch" or her favorite excuse was that Derek had been "going through" something. The longer she stayed, the more she came to realize that her marriage had become toxic. It came to a point where...toxicity was her ritual.

Again...those are 3 years she will never get back no matter how hard she chooses to live for the future. There was something about today...something about leaving the court house, completed divorce forms at her finger tips that screamed freedom.

Nia was happy. She was excited for what Plans God had in store for her in her fresh beginning. But before erasing her old slate, she had to confront him one last time.
~~~~~

"Go ahead and leave, good riddance."

"You don't have to tell me twice." Nia muttered under her breath. Before she could even think properly, she was being smashed into the body mirror that had been hung up on the wall nearby, and she gave him an elbow to the face in return.

"Watch it!" She yelled wiping a drop of blood from her forehead.

"Who are you telling to watch it?" Derek slurred taking a swig from a bottle of Budweiser. He stunk of the foul beverage everyday. Nia tried to help him overcome his alcohol addiction, but he never wanted to hear what she had to say to him.

"What happened to until death do us part?"

"Today these divorce papers you signed is doing us apart." Nia said shoving his copy in his hands.

"I wish you were sober enough to understand what's happening here." Nia says throwing one last T-Shirt into her bag. She had been home all day packing up her things in preparation to leave Derek.

"I can't do this anymore, if there's one thing my mother always taught me it was to never let a man bring me low enough to hate them...you've done some unspeakable harm to me Derek Boston...and I'm here telling you right here and right now, that i don't quite hate you for it...I hate that I let it go on and now I'm done with it." She said grabbing her duffel bag and storming out of the room.

With everything else packed away in the trunk she was quick to shove the bag in the back seat when she'd realized she'd forgotten her most precious possession. "Oh my gosh, I almost forgot Duke!" She says to herself sneaking around back to the backyard to retrieve her dog. Lucky for her having the leash in the front seat helped her to remember.

Duke barked excitedly at seeing Nia enter the yard and she began shooshing the pitbull as she put the leash on him. "Let's go boy!" She whispered sneaking back around to the driveway. Of course while she was escaping with the dog Derek had met her out front and Duke immediately picked up on her being in danger.

"The dog stays."

"Absolutely not, this is my dog." She says as Duke jumps in front of her, threatening to attack the man. Nia opened the passenger door and the dog hopped in and she closed the door behind him.

"Goodbye Derek...although you didn't always treat me well, I hope you do well..." she says handing over her key and her engagement ring. She got in the car and drove off without looking back, all she could see in the rear view mirror was Derek at the end of the driveway giving her the finger.

"Next stop...freedom."