Chapter 55 : Trust

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

The scientific name of the spotted hyena,

Crocuta or crocuta was taken from the mythological crocotta,

Local folklore about hyenas often gives them powers

Such as shapeshifting and human speech.

This encourages the link between the hyena and the crocotta.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Their movements were fast, simultaneous, and without warning

Their movements were fast, simultaneous, and without warning. I had little time to think.

I tucked and rolled, moving out of the way just in time before the two Crocottas collided against each other -- head first -- before crumpling to the floor.

I turned to the side the exact moment three other Crocottas lunged at me with careless precision. I pulled to my feet and ran. A cowardice choice at the moment but an obvious decision for anyone in my position.

One Crocotta tore faster than the rest. Its hooves pounded against the ground, matching the increasing rate of my heartbeat.

I was panicking!

My thighs ached as I neared a dead end. Turning on the balls of my feet, I veer to the left, narrowly missing the wall. The upcoming Crocotta turned too late and rammed against the buttress with a thud. I was light on my feet, and my quick change in direction was surprising.

Is that supposed to be normal?

I bent low and snatched the broken leg of a nearby table. Turning on my heel, I swung the wood, batting the snout of another approaching Crocotta. Only, it wasn't one of the minor ones. Its cat-like gaze was enough confirmation. Liam.

It swayed to the left from the force. Liam's Crocotta ruffled its hairs and snarled as its hackles stood on end, making it impossibly larger.