#54: Necessary

"I would never want that from you."

His words landed me into a safety net, it gave me all the security I needed, as the voice in my head murmured the words, I told you.

"Good, " I uttered before turning my head back to the display before us.

The silence after wasn't awkward, rather I immediately reflected back to when Jessica first brought me here

"Look."

Turning around, I saw the largest fish swim by. Quickly, I ran up to the glass and watched it continue across the way until I could no longer see him... Or her.

"That's called a—"

Together, hand in hand, we walked over to a monitor that showed what animals roamed in the water. Watching her tap through the display, it showed different types of sea animals until the one we saw was shown.

"A Scalloped hammerhead."

From there, I pulled her across the black carpet to the seats Gus and I sat on, and before I could cry, I got up.

"We should probably go."

Gus mirrored into a stand a second later. "Where?" he questioned, and like it were casual, I knew of a place.

"My dad's."

Give or take, we'd be there in thirty minutes.

I didn't want to see his expression but just as quick, he grabbed my arm and turned me around. "Would he— would he be okay with—"

Before he could babble out another word of uncertainty, I gave all the reassurance he needed, "My dad won't be there— he's never there."

Along the way, I pointed at the buildings we passed to explain it's origin. One in particular, as we approached it, you could see the pokes of flowers coming out the black fencing.

"This one is like a library, but you have to make appointments and it has to be approved by the board before you're allowed in."

We were steps away from the sealed entrance before I added to my explanation, "You basically need good reason."

However, I wasn't about to tell him that it belonged to my dad's father's father. Rather, we scroll on by like it didn't mean anything, specifically, to me, at least.