#6: Hellboy

November 10th 2003

"Now Jason will slide down so he could make a short cut to catch Cassie " I say, sitting with Mrs. Montoya for the sixth day, playing this game that I created on the fourth day of recess. Seeing the boy with a shaved head, doing as I predicted, "See."

She had her leg over the other, with her arms folded across her chest- scoping out another student for me to observe, "Okay what about Henry"

Out to the playground, I looked- scanning through a sea of kids matching his physical features with the boy who stood at the pole, ready to slide down. I look under the pole, seeing Emma being chased by Gus and decided my prediction, "Gus is trying to chase Emma under the pole so Henry could slide down the pole to catch her"

(AN: damn so many poles mentioned in that paragraph haha😂)

We wait a moment and watched it happen. Mrs. Montoya turns her head- laying her eyes on me, "You're such a smart little girl"

What would my mom say? I gave it a moment of thought, "Thank you, Mrs. Montoya" sounding robotic as possible.

"Amelia can I ask you something?"

No, but being the fact that I'm only six years old I have the excuse to reply vaguely so I nodded my head. Hate it when adults do this.

"Why did you move here?"

Now, here it goes- adult stuff that I shouldn't be involved in, "My mom loves the ocean"

Lie, she wouldn't go near the water.

"And what else?"

I shrug my shoulder, shooting the question back in her direction, "Why do you live here?"

Giving emphasis on the pronoun, and looked in her direction- waiting for her response. In the meantime, I noticed her name tag has changed, Ms. Montoya. Officially divorce, but like that's my business.

"I've lived here my whole life" she replies. Good to know, I guess... It's not like I wanted to know that in the first place.

I turn my head back in the direction of the playground, and here came Emma, at full speed running toward us, and before I could brace myself, she slammed into my side and took a seat.

"Times Gus, times!" She squealed, kicking her feet out, hitting into Gus's chest, which in result landed him on the ground but that didn't stop him. He got up and tackled Emma with such a (playful) aggression that Ms. Montoya mistaken it for brutality, how would you know Amelia? My conscience said, You've never been chased.

Gus! Stop it! You'll hurt her"

Gus removed himself from Emma and stood up, "Scoot over Flemma" he says, pushing her in my direction.

"Sit by Amelia" she whines.

"No, she has cooties"

Cooties? What are cooties?

For the duration of the day, my mind wrapped around this mysterious word. Where does it originate? What does it mean? Why wouldn't he sit beside me?