#46: Know Each Other

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Church.

I haven't thought of this place as a one word statement. Maybe I have but now, things feel so different, and the one person I hold accountable is texting me right now, and ever so often my phone vibrates because of him.

Briefly (in the restroom stall before church started) about an hour ago, I told him to text me later but no... He proceeded to playfully annoy me. I know I shouldn't have the iPhone with me but if I try doing that, I wouldn't be able to concentrate. It's better that it's in my possession.

Again it vibrates.

Rolling my eyes deeply to the right, thankfully I could see that my mom was overly indulged in the sermon and there was absolutely no way I could message him. I mean it's pretty obvious that I couldn't message him, given the circumstances... Yet again, I was already calculating when would be the perfect time to text him back.

My mind finalized that when printing for the track team's food banquet would be the best opening to do so.

Taking out my flip phone, I was to check the time,

12:45

"Amelia..."

My mom's tone of whisper told me to put the phone away which I did at her demand, followed by looking forward, redirected my attention on the pastor's dialogue.

"In Matthew 5:28, Jesus said "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart", I'm sure that is a bit self explanatory but if we include the divorce rate of today's day and age-

In a way, I felt my mom's back tense up, her pull of muscle also made the bench crack.

"You would see that this scripture plays into why sons and daughter have two birthdays and two of the same holidays each year, lust is adultery, which is a sin and it must be stopped if you want to see the gates of heaven."

He continued and with every few seconds, I turned my head a few centimeters to see the expression on my mom's face. That's where it suddenly hit me, the realization that I hadn't seen Jessica since I was an eight years old walking along side her. We had only spent a few hours together.

"Now, we must keep our marriages-"

At the roar of his voice, I was so startled that my eyes darted to the pastor, his arms were raised.

"well by staying committed for the Lord, ourselves, and our children."

His eyes scanned the crowd as if he were picking out the ones who were divorced then re-engaged his eyes with the bible. It seemed he lost his train of thought because it became utterly silent, and by impulse it was my window to excuse myself from this... bottled up atmosphere.

"I'm going to print off the papers now."

Without making eye contact, she nodded and slowly, I got up and took the precaution to walk through the tight spaces to past her. Good thing, we were sitting in the second to last row, to the far right, just steps away from the double doors.