#25: My Hermosa

Wednesday, October 27th 2004, four days before Gus's eighth birthday.

My dad said that my surprise included a person, and on the drive to our destination I made little effort in trying to suggest who? Instead, I looked toward the ocean, which existed beside the road we drove on. In the middle of admiring the outstretched/never ending water, my dad made a turn into a parking lot. That's when my eyes widen and my realization exploded to the sight of blue... and to me, the gray sky matched the sand's texture. Two and two meant we were going to the ocean.

When the car's engine no longer made an existing sound, I pulled at the straps of my booster seat as if the little effort I made would somehow free me. It's evident that I became helpless with my dad. If this were a trip with my mom she'd lecture how, in life, we have to be "independent" (which I believe is a word she made up on her own), resulting in getting out the booster seat on my own, open the door on my own, and close the door on my own.

Own, own, own. I'll say it another three times, just to show you how tedious being "independent" is- own, own, own.

As for my dad, he treated me like a... child. Correction, he treated me like the child I am. "Hold on Pumpkin, I'll be there, hold on" He said, quickly going through the motions of getting out the car, surpassing the passenger side door to open mine. One hand effortlessly parted the buckles and the other lift me into his arm, then somehow managed to close the door and placed me on my two feet. On my very own.

Anyway when the ocean's setting registered into my eyes, I actively inhaling through all my five senses and to get a better view, I stood on the white parking block... thing (you know, the one that tells you when to stop driving, especially for people like my mom) which made me a foot taller. It was to that change of height, that my pupils burst (an exaggeration) to the visuals and my insides became so entirely happy.

When I turned back towards my dad, he pulled out what seemed to be a blanket and napped it under his arm before lending out his hand. Although, he said a person was my surprise, the ocean was enough and I could careless about whoever we're about to see.

"Are we going swimming too?" I asked, noticing the cold air absorbing into my cheeks, "It's too cold, we're gonna to catch the buggy flu and mom is going to be mad and then we'll both be in trouble, and she'll yell and yell and yell and yell"

No exaggeration, I'll say it again, she'll yell and yell and yell.

"We won't catch the buggy flu, I promise" he insured, and as we continued in the direction he walked us, my curiosity actually made it's appearance and caused my brows to furrow as my eyes paid insignificant attention to my black boots, "Is this person important to me"

Despite the male features on his face, he looked exactly like me. And no I'm not say that he was a mirror image of me! I'm talking about the happy face I get when seeing my grandpa or Gus. (Neither, or- I'm a happy girl.)

Into the distance, at the far end of the peer, stood the person I missed, wearing a scarf I knew all too well-

"Jess" I whispered in the custom of her nickname and released my dad's hand so I can run. It took nine seconds to reach her touch, which is just an estimate but also, I choice that number because it's becoming my favorite number. 💔