#47: Star Shopping

This morning I made sure to grab for the chocolate box I mentioned to Gus a couple of days ago. It was hidden in my closet and now, it's in my school bag as Ms. Almara drove us (Amanda and I) to swimming practice.

"Amanda, mija, why so much makeup, you already so pretty."

From the passenger seat, I looked back to see Amanda apply an extra layer of mascara. Had I already told her she had enough?

Yes, I did earlier but with the combination of ignoring my words of concern... and the earphones in her ears made it physically impossible for her to "listen".

"She can't hear you, she's listening to music." I turned back in my seat and looked out the window.

"I think it's a waste, the pool will wash it all away."

That's if we were actually going to practice.

And yes, I know I've been lying too much recently but as the saying goes, desparate times call for desparate measures. Especially, if you... basically promise to bring a person chocolate.

"Right, I tried telling her."

Partially, I was being truthful but still, I found it hard to look at her. My eyes were still set on the views outside my window, and the closer we got to the pool, the more intense the silence got.

It was the most quite I ever been and yeah, Ms. Almara questioned my state of being as I got off at the entrance.

"No, I'm okay, I'm just a little tired, we ran a lot in PE today."

Lie, after lie.

"Okay mija, I'll be back as always."

Without the slightest eye contact, I nodded my head vigorously then— slam, the door went.

Walking up the concrete stairs, my eyes blinked more than I could control as my mind traveled further into the abyss of nothingness. I couldn't believe what I just-

"Let's hurry and put our things into our locker and leave before Coach comes," Amanda said, yanking my arm, making me walk faster than I intended to go, and for the slightest moments, I looked into her face. She was so anxious, the excited kind.

Through the building, we looped and pulled through each door until we stood before our lockers.

"Hurry."

At her demand, I opened my bag and took out the chocolate box.

"What are-

Momentary, I looked up as I zipped by bag back up. "Its for Gus."

Turning around, I opened my locker and stuffed my bag in, continuing to explain. "When we were younger, I brought him chocolate one time."

After closing my locker, I kept my eyes low not wanting to see the judgement she might have of me. Thankfully, her phone vibrates, capturing her full attention.

It had to be Damien, and by her smiling expression as she read what was on her screen, I was correct.

"Come on, they are waiting."