#51: Be There

Hug- an act of holding someone tightly in one's arms, typically to express affection.

Looking at the definition on the screen of my laptop, I knew I was making this more than it should be. For what? I don't know.

(Off to the side, my homework was rotting with every passing second.)

Before Gus left, he said to text him, and I don't know when it would be the right time to do so. You see, I over complicate things. If I weren't this way, everything would be different.

Like as of now, I wouldn't be opening my fictional Facebook account to check if Gus was active, which he rarely is. But still, I'm that curious. Even to the point that I check Emma's page, just to get the slightest update on him, being that she always tags him in things. Wherever she went, he went. As the saying goes, "two peas in a pod". If only we could be like...

I don't let my mind go that far. But then again, I find myself looking at her pictures and end up in my closet, differentiate our clothing choices.

Two words, she's envious.

Now, it's to the point that I have my phone in hand, wanting to text Gus but I can't. I'm sure tomorrow night will be a repeat. I'm pathetic, entirely.

--

Following morning, at school

"Okay, brainstorm, what three words should we use to describe today's wealth?"

"One and forty."

He grinned, with confusion written. "What do you mean?"

I shrugged my shoulders because I knew there would be a contradiction. So why say it in the first place then? I don't know, it was an impulsive reply. That's all.

"What! You can't say something like that and not know."

(He's sometime overly enthusiastic.)

"You wouldn't understand."

He's smile continued, piercing through me until I had to roll my eyes away. Did I mention that we were in a dim computer lab, sitting along side each other?

Well, now you have a visual.

"Try explaining it to me then." He challenged, placing a palm on his cheek, looking over.

"One percent of Americans hold at least forty percent of the nation's wealth."

He scoffed, "The rich stay rich, the poor stay poor— isn't that how it's always been."

"Don't you think, by now, things should be different?"

"The system works, I mean look at us, we have more opportunities than anyone."

"But what about everyone else?" My concerning enthusiasm was wanting to be hear, hoping that he'd catch on and say what I wanted to hear.

But he didn't deliver. "That's just how it goes, and you can't feel any way about it."

All day, I sat in each class thinking of what Anthony said but I had no answer for my own question.