Stuck In The Middle/Harley x Reader/Soulmates..?

Girl x Girl, (S) = Sexuality, Unedited. 
1,407 Words 

PLOT: It was known by almost everyone. Your soulmate's distant memories were your dreams. It was freaky sure, but endearing if you think about it. You got to know their past, see who they are as a person. What made them cry as a kid? What made them angry as a teenager? These questions were answered in the dreams... however, one question wasn't.

Who were they?

You didn't get to see who your soulmate was in the dreams; you were cast as them. Plus, any family members, homes, and certain names weren't in there either. They've either been replaced or cut out immediately depending on how revealing it was. 

This infuriated you. Your soulmate had the most exciting life known to man, but you just couldn't figure out who they were! It often kept you up at night and made you daydream in the morning. Usually, when you get caught daydreaming, you were sent to detention, but you didn't care. You saw that as an opportunity to think about who your soulmate may be. 

However, you getting so many detentions didn't fly by your parents. 

–––

On one Tuesday afternoon, (Y/n) came home from school, dropping her bag by the door and slipping off her shoes before heading into the kitchen. (Y/n)'s dad walked in, sliding onto a chair at the island countertop with a stack of papers in his hands. Pouring herself a glass of juice, she smiled warmly. "Hey, Dad!" (Y/n) said taking small glances at him before fully focusing on her glass. "How goes?"

"(Y/n)," He started. "I just got news from the school and I'm afraid you won't like it." He let out a heavy sigh as he leaned forward onto the marble. Concerned, she put the juice carton back in the fridge and turned to him, giving him her full attention. "Okay..." she began, dragging out the last part of the word. "What's wrong?" He flipped the papers in his hand, spreading them out on the table. 

Almost each and everyone had a red circle on them, while only one was light pink. Letting out a moderately heavy sigh, she chewed her bottom lip as she looked them over. 'F...C...D...F... This isn't going to be a fun conversation.' (Y/n) turned her attention to the red paper. It screamed trouble and punishment. Her father looked up expectantly at her. "Wanna tell me why your grades are slipping... and why you had so many detentions in this past semester?"

"No... not really." She muttered. Her father cleared his throat in response. "Okay, I've been daydreaming lately, Dad. I can't stop thinking of my soulmate and who she may be!" (Y/n) whined out, stretching herself on top of the cold counter dramatically. Her father rolled her eyes. 

"(Y/n), we've talked about this since the end of middle school. You can not let your dreaming and mind... boo-ga-ling take away from your studies and academic career." She opened her mouth to whine in protest but her father shut it down by saying 'ah' and pointing a finger to the sky. "No. No excuses, complaints, whines, or groans. You know we've talked and we know that you promised to get better."

(Y/n) stood up correctly, looking down at her hands she placed on the counter. "You're right... and I'm sorry." She spoke to him. He smiled a bit. "Apology accepted, but don't think your quick apology is going to get you out of a grounding. You're grounded for a week." He began to get out of his chair, collecting the now wrinkled papers. "But I have a science project due with Harley!" She protested. Her dad took the glass with a swift swipe and smirked a little. "Well, I guess you're going to have to figure out a creative way to talk to her then." He said before heading to his room. 

---

(Y/n) conspired a plan to talk to Harley. Thankfully the two were fence neighbors, practically sharing backyards... but not fully because (Y/n)'s dad didn't want a mess in his garden.  They shared a string with a can on either side; each of the cans silver with their initial painted on each side. "Yeah, so then she grabbed the stuffed bunny, which still had it's head ripped off, and made it into some like, clock demonic dreamcatcher thing for her little sister!" (Y/n) explained yet another dream to Harley.

This was an occurring thing for the two of them. (Y/n) would rant to Harley about her dreams and she would just nod and say a few words in response, however, (Y/n) never realized how unresponsive Harley was during 'Dream Talk'. She was so invested that she couldn't even tell that her best friend didn't care... or.. did she?

Harley cared. Obviously, that was her best friend. But what caused her to be dull in her responses was that she figured out she was (Y/n)'s soulmate. Every dream (Y/n) described slowly became more detailed the more she told them to Harley. It only took her three dreams to realize that (Y/n)'s dreams were her memories.. but, she didn't identify as someone who was apart of the LGBTQA+ community. She simply thought of herself as a heterosexual, however, this all changed two summers ago.

The more time Harley spent with (Y/n), the quicker she fell for her. Only a couple of months ago did Harley finally come to terms with herself as a bisexual; finally accepting her ever-growing crush on (Y/n). Harley was scared she didn't feel the same way but even more terrified of her close friend not accepting her, even if she was (S). Harley wasn't out yet and didn't know if she would ever be. So, she decided to keep her crush to herself in hopes it would go away soon or at least deplete some. 

Harley cleared her throat, snapping (Y/n) out of her rant. "Uhm, let's talk about the project. We still don't even know what to do about it." Harley spoke into the can, looking down at her empty notebook. (Y/n) looked at Harley through her window, taking in her features before nodding with a soft smile. "Right," she replied back.

The two worked for forty-five minutes before (Y/n) began talking about dreams again. "Oh my gosh, Harley!" She gasped, looking at her through the window. "We never talk about your dreams, don't we!" She sat cross-legged, placing her free hand in her lap. Harley shook her head, typing some things into her computer for researching purposes. "Nope, we have not."

Harley didn't even bother to look out the window, back at (Y/n). She wanted to avoid this topic in all hopes her secret crush would remain secret. If Harley began rambling on and on about the dreams and how perfect (Y/n) was, she wouldn't stop. (Y/n) pursed her lips to the side, letting out a soft sigh. "Well, don't you want to talk about it?" She asked.

Harley shook her head, taking the computer off her lap and placing it beside her. "Nope." She blatantly said as she wrote down some notes in her book. "Oh, why not?" (Y/n) asked, aching for a detailed response from her. Harley shrugged. "Just don't feel like it." She said with a heavy and slightly annoyed sigh. "Can we just go back to working please?" Harley turned to the window, her long brown hair moving swiftly with the sudden and sharp movement.

(Y/n) could tell this was a sensitive topic, she didn't understand why it was such a sensitive topic but decided not to budge anymore. "Yeah," she began, looking at her hand that was now mindlessly playing with the fabric of her pants/shorts/leggings/skirt. "Sorry." She placed the can down and began working as Harley wished.

Harley frowned softly as she watched her. She didn't mean to come off as harsh, rude, and cold, but she was scared that the second she talked about the dream, (Y/n) wouldn't like her anymore. She turned back to her work as well and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. 

Maybe someday.

Fin.

(A/N): Don't really have an ending for this imagine, so I might just end the series here. Not everything is all gumdrops and rainbows, right? P.S, this was my first time writing something that was descriptive about how a person from the LGBTQ+ community felt about their sexuality and personally accepting themselves. Did I do okay? I'm up for constructive  criticism or even some pointers!