Twenty Two Part Three

Start from the beginning

Betsy shed her dress and pulled on her breeches, tying them off, she then pulled on her boots. She went to the bureau and collected a linen shirt, pulling it over her head and then smoothing the material down, before strapping on her belt. She pulled a coat out of the hanging compartment and turned to see Violet standing near the door, his coat over his arm, watching her move about and ready herself.

His eyes were full of warmth and love, causing her body to move directly to him of it's own accord.

"Ready, Kitten?" He held his hand out to her, she placed her own within his, then they went through the ladies workroom again and then up, emerging into the sunshine above.

They shrugged on their coats as they started across the planks.

Violet followed her across deck and down the ramp, then placed his hand on her lower back, to escort her up the docks.

The shopkeepers were pushing their carts out onto the walk in front of their stores, so Vi and Betsy waited patiently for the flower cart to be set in place.

Betsy looked at the daisies and carnations, roses and irises, wandering her way all the way around the cart.

"Excuse me, Mister Rowland," she asked the shopkeeper, as he made to return into his store. "Do you by chance have any violets?"

"I do, inside, come along with me, Miss Elizabeth." The short, round, jovial man held the door for them, as Violet followed Betsy inside.

Vi smiled at the idea that she wanted violets to take to her Papa, it even touched his heart so poignantly, he felt a quick moisture come to his eyes.

Violet placed a hand on the small of her back, accompanying her to the rear of the shop, where small potted plants were lined up on shelves along the wall.

There was one short row of violets, all in small, ceramic, decorated pots. Betsy found the spray she wanted and cradled the vessel in her hands.

"Those are the one's ye be wantin' then, Miss Elizabeth?" The shopkeeper accepted her nod, refused Violet's payment, then followed them out of the store. "Tell your Papa hello for me, my dear. And come by on your way back, I shall have something special for you."

Miles Rowland had known Betsy all of her life, he loved the little miss, as all who had attended her Papa's church did. She had helped Miles in the past, along with her Papa, when need be. Such as the few days she had sold flowers for him, when he had suffered from the gripe, or other times when there had been a wedding or death.

The miss had lent him an extra pair of hands, as she had a knack with arrangements and colors. And she had lent him her company, while they worked together, then her Papa would come, to help deliver the flowers to the church. When Miles had been sick, he had not had to shut his doors and lose business, he had even been able to make an additional donation to the church, on her behalf, because of her help.

Violet had seen the look in the shopkeeper's eyes when he had addressed Betsy, and it warmed him to know his wife was such a beloved part of this community.

"Lead the way, lovey, as I do not know where we are headed." Violet set his hand on her far shoulder, as she carried the little pot of violets in front of her.

She turned up a lane that lead away from the docks, yet it still followed along the shoreline. The ground sloped slightly uphill as the shops turned to residences, then all gave way to an open area around a little, white church. Violet could see there was a small cemetery nestled behind it.

Betsy turned her gaze to look up at Violet, as he noted the quaint, white chapel on the rise, with it's small stained glass windows that were edged in a simple, carved wood trim. Grasses surrounded the steepled structure, a few mature trees dotted the landscape here and there.