Chapter 8

"The wounded recognized the wounded."
– Nora Roberts

Kira and her brother arrived through Floo Powder. They landed in Dumbledore's office. The smoke and dust caused Thomas to sneeze. Kira muttered a quick 'bless you' and stepped forward out of the fireplace.

"Good Morning Miss Rose, and Mr Rose." Dumbledore greeted them after they had both stepped forward.

"Morning Professor." They responded.

"You have both been excused from all classes today. They will however continue as normal tomorrow." Dumbledore spoke. Kira and Thomas both nodded along to what he was saying, though neither were actually listening. "You are dismissed." He smiled at his two learners. They have both gone through so much yet they stood tall as if it did not affect them.

Kira nodded her goodbye and led her brother out of the office and into the hallway. "Come along Thomas. Let's get back to the Common Room." She said softly. As formal as she was, refusing to call her siblings by nicknames, she still managed to speak to them with a certain softness.

Thomas nodded. They walked until they reached the statue that gave them the riddle to enter the common room.

"The more there is the less you see..."

"Darkness." Kira answered easily. The statue moved out of the away allowing them to enter.

Thomas looked up at his sister, a glint of admiration in his eyes. Kira turned around and gestured towards the stairs leading to the Boys Dorms. Thomas waved a goodbye to his sister and quickly walked up the stairs. Most likely to sleep.

Kira wandered over to one of the large bookshelves that adorned the walls of the common room. Between every wall was a large window, providing a beautiful view of the Hogwarts grounds.

Kira grabbed a book and began reading to pass time.

Looking up, Kira took note of the time. It was lunch now and she was starving. She did not eat that morning because she was rushing to ensure her brother was ready to go back to Hogwarts.

Making her way into the Great Hall she took note of the whispers that followed her. They had no doubt either noticed her absence or heard about the death of her mother in the Daily Prophet.

Ava spotted her walking in and immediately jumped up. As Kira neared the Ravenclaw Table, Ava pulled her into a larger hug. Kira, startled, slowly hugged her back, not liking the amount of stares she was getting.

Ava released her and pulled her down to sit. "Where have you been?" She asked immediately.

"Surely you've heard, have you not?" Kira answered with a sigh.

Ava gave her a sad smile. "I wanted to hear it from you."

"My mother died and my brother is missing." Kira answered shortly as she placed some toast onto her plate. Ava was shocked at her friend's bluntness regarding this topic.

"Thomas?" Ava asked. Her heart breaking more with every second that passed.

Kira shook her head. She finished chewing a piece of toast before answering. "Charles."