Eighteen

I yawned, falling over from my seated position to lay my head on Estelle’s lap. “I give up. This is useless. We won’t find anything.”

“We have to try.” Estelle’s voice hadn’t lost any of her determination, but it was weary.

“We can try tomorrow.” I bit my lip, thinking of earlier that day. We’d gone to see Dana. I had gone to see Dana. Estelle’s description wasn’t exaggerating. Dana was more scared than I’d ever seen anyone before. Her eyes were bloodshot and darted around, trying to make sure she knew every inch of her surroundings. When she saw me, she looked even more terrified, but relaxed once Estelle assured her that it was okay.

The visit could only last so long, but it didn’t take me long to see that Dana, as scared as Tabitha had been of her, wasn’t very scary at all.

“She didn’t do it,” I whispered to Estelle, squeezing her hand tightly as we walked away.

She squeezed back. “I know.”

Now, remembering that, it made it hard to give up for the night. I wanted to discover every scrap of evidence from Tabitha’s murder. I had to find out who did it. I had to help her in the one way I could now.

But falling asleep at the keyboard wasn’t going to help anything. I dragged Estelle away from the screen and we settled under the covers, too exhausted to change.

-

I left in the morning after eating a box of Eggo waffles with Estelle. It was different, having to walk home instead of watching her leave – I wasn’t sure which was better, or if there even was a winning scenario.

-

SO I should have put this in the last chapter but I didn’t know it would be this short. I apologize for any mistakes, bad grammar, or just crappy writing in general. My mind is being weird right now. O.o I’ll most likely post the next chapter right after this, in which all will be revealed…

:)