Fourteen

(A week later, because I've been waiting to get this chapter out since I started writing this story)

I turned back to Tabitha. “Do I look okay?”

She smiled. “You look perfect.”

“Are you sure? I mean, I don’t look too fancy, do I? I know it’s out to eat, but Estelle knows I hate fancy restaurants, but what if she does take me to one or… Oh, god, what if it’s like just a movie? Am I too overdressed? …Why are you laughing?”

“Jo,” Tabitha said, “trust me. You look great. Don’t worry about it. Just worry about the girl you’re going with. Okay?”

I bit my lip and nodded. “Okay.” My stomach flipped around again. “I’m nervous.”

“I know.” She hugged me. “You’ll be fine.”

“What about you?” I pulled away, not knowing how I could have been so absent-minded.

She grinned wickedly. “Don’t worry about me. I got a Taser.” With a wink, she went to her bag and pulled it out. “I’m good.”

I laughed. “Okay. Successfully comforted.” Then the doorbell rang, and my comfort went out the window.

Tabitha put her Taser back into her bag and dropped it all back on her bed. “Remember the plan. I’m going to go get the door, and you’ll walk down the stairs like the sexy mofo you are. Okay?”

I nodded. The plan was kind of stupid, but I sure as hell didn’t want to get the door.

I heard the door open. “Oh, hi, Estelle? What brings you here?”

That was my cue. Taking a deep breath and feeling very childish, I started down the stairs.

Estelle’s gaze met mine halfway down, and she smiled. My heart melted. Oh crap. How do I go down stairs again?

I somehow made it down them, outside, and into Estelle’s car (well, her friend’s car that she borrowed). She opened and closed the door for me. As we drove away, I waved goodbye to Tabitha, making a mental note to thank her later for letting me use all of her makeup and having Estelle pick me up at her house (it was a shorter trip).

“So, where to?” I asked. Now that all of the waiting and anxiety was over, I felt comfortable again. Yes, Estelle was extremely attractive and I wanted to jump her right then and there, but I could speak and think and everything!

“You’ll see.”

I sighed.

The car pulled up to some kind of park. At least, I thought it was a park. It looked like the front lawn of a millionaire’s house or something. A field of grass stretched out in front of a small pond with a dock leading to the water. In the middle of the grass, there was a fountain. A statue of Aphrodite stood atop a pedestal dripping with water; around the base of the fountain, there were little ledges of stone that looked like they could be used for seats. There were lights in the bottom of it too, underneath the water. I couldn’t stop staring at it. It was beautiful.

Estelle got out of the car and came around to open my door, as I was still enchanted by the scene. I only just remembered to unbuckle my seatbelt as I got out. I looked over at Estelle.

“I’m guessing you like it?”

I grinned. “I love it!”

She smiled before walking to the back of the car. Out of the trunk came a folding table; Estelle carried it over to the edge of the fountain and set it in front of two of the ledges. Then she went back to the trunk and brought a basket out, afterwards slamming the trunk shut and taking my hand to bring me to the fountain.