#55: Die Together

Start from the beginning

Maybe I should go see it?

That suggest kept appearing but also, I comtemplated on whether or not I should ask.

Gus,

Gus, can

Gus, can I

Gus, can I go

Gus, can I go home

Gus, can I go home with

"Gus, can I go home with— you?"

My frustration blurted out those words, just as the train came to a stop.

"Uh—

Hearing the uncertainty in his voice, I immediately snapped into embarrassed, "Nevermind, I don't know what I was—"

"No, I mean— it's okay— you can uh— come back with me."

In that silence, we waited for everyone to get off then proceeded out the exit to the gray concrete. The sun was setting as we walked away from the station, still we hadn't said a word since I shoved him off me.

I figured this was the right time to apologize, "Gus, I'm sorry."

Looking over, his eyes were focused on the ground.

"I was just angry."

"No, I get it— it's okay."

I was so in my head that I didn't see he was making a call.

"Mom— mom, I know, mom— could you come pick us up?"

He paused, and lightly, you can hear her speak.

"We're on Delta, not too far from the train station— yeah, I love you too."

The softest in his voice on those last words were envious. To have a mom like that....

I wouldn't know.

Again, we were in silence, and I was ready to turn the opposite way. I could see myself telling Gus that I made a mistake but just as sudden, he looked over and spoke.

"My mom said she's going to order pizza then head this way."

His tone settle my underlying perspective, creating a slight grin across my lips as my eyes stayed glued to the sidewalk.

"So she knows I'm with you?" I ask, referring to how he said "us".

"Eveyone knows, Chris."

"How?" I spat, my brows furrowed.

"It just makes sense, we both went missing at the same time, I guess."

"Did you tell anyone?"

"No, did you?" he forced, making me realize that it had to Amanda. Or?