Twenty Nine

Burning Love is No More

•••

One whole night has passed and George hasn't heard anything from Harry. As he promised him on the phone call, he is getting ready to go visit him in Manhattan. He grabs the soup that he and Elektra made last night after the wedding and leaves the apartment.

He feels good, the day is one of the warmest days of the fall and September is not going that bad aside from the recent murder and the fact that he almost got deported had Crystal's plan worked.

Moments later he arrives at the building that Harry stays. He walks through the big crappy hall and finds himself outside of the apartment. He tries to knock but the door is already open and he walks inside to surprise his boyfriend. To his surprise the apartment is completely empty and the only thing that has been left behind is a letter at the kitchen table.

"What the hell?", George says and grabs the letter. He opens it and takes a seat to read it...

"Hey Greek boy, this is the worst thing that I have ever done in my entire life. How could I leave you, leave us behind and try to let go or move on. Truth is I won't be able to and I want you to know that I do love you. It feels so liberating to be able to say it, write it even feel it. I know I'm not the most romantic person and neither are you, that's why we had something pure and completely ours. Now that I'm gone, you can hate me, but at least we will always have our road trips at our lake."

George tries to process everything. Did Harry just left him and just wrote one letter for goodbye? He looks at the wall without any reaction other than that of a person who has no clue about what's going on. George remembers what he said about their small trips to their lake. He opens his backpack and grabs a small rock he had stolen from there.

"The lake huh?", he whispers in an empty apartment, all by himself.

•••

Later that day, George is avoiding everyone and tries to relax, something that he hasn't been able to do all day as he keeps thinking how he fell for someone who left him. He opens his hand and he still holds the goodbye letter.

Then he finds himself outside of a church at the Bronx. He thinks about it for a second before storming inside. For a church at a poor neighborhood, it's really holding up. Mostly clean but dark unlike the one at his hometown in Greece. He takes a seat behind the front row and looks at Jesus's statue.

He remembers the last time he was in church was with his parents. It was really boring and they had those judgy faces in case he did or said something stupid. While he thinks about the old times, someone behind him saying...