⚜️Chapitre dix-neuf⚜️

Les étoiles dans ses yeux

The stars in his eyes

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

Agonizing screams of the tortured souls echoed through the dark caverns endlessly. Begs, pleads, prayers for their lives, for anyone's mercy pierced my ears and yet, I was as deaf as ever to the shrieks and wails.

Excruciating pain and anguish were thickening the air with each cry, but I was breathing just fine.

The voices sounded just the same. They never changed during the centuries I had walked these caverns, perhaps even before that.

"Please save me", "Why", "Forgive me", "I'm sorry", "No", "I don't belong here"... all of them sounded the same like a broken old record that it sometimes ticked me off.

They deserved to burn in hell, screaming and begging, wanting to undo their sins. Had those sinners use their fucked up brains to even think about others and what their disgusting actions would do to them? How much pain they would go through?

The pain those wretches feel in hell is nothing compared to it! Because of the pain, those unfaithful scoundrels beg for their life while those who suffered because of them wish for their own death.

Hearing and seeing the souls, I was reminded of my duties. The pledge I had given myself when I died and when I arrived here and got selected as a deadly sin was set ablaze once again. Living as a human on earth made me forget my true nature and deceived me that I was a normal person.

"Weren't you taking a short break?"

Greed, dressed in a luxurious maroon velvet shirt and gray dress pants, strutted towards me with a surprised smile. With a tilt of my head, I dismissed an incubus who bowed before leaving us alone in the hall room.

"I had to come back to get a grip," I sighed, falling back onto the chair as Greed pulled out one for himself to sit beside me. "It seems the human qualities I have are messing with my head..."

His eyebrows rose and he cupped his face with his elbows propped on the table. "How so?"

"I just keep mistaking what I am... I lose myself and get lost in life since I've never been on earth for so long at once," I groaned, holding my head. "And I was so used to meeting the same old people, same old sinners that when I met him and took a peek into his life... my beliefs were challenged, and I just feel so frustrated!"

The blonde man watched me in silence for a moment with an indiscernible look. "You're being way too indecisive and conflicted for a hell creature. Your beliefs are challenged?"

I bit my lips in shame, looking away.

"Because of that human? Are you backing out now?"

After a beat of silence, I shook my head. "No, I'm not backing out. I just need a reminder."

With a heavy sigh, Greed slumped back in his chair, crossing his legs over the table. "What more reminder do you need than the fact that you'll return to nothingness if you fail? Is there pity in that black heart of Lust who never hesitated to peel off men's skin and burn the flesh?"

I closed my eyes shut. "It doesn't make sense, I know, okay?"

"We never show mercy. Especially you. That confusion is just a part of the damned human qualities they cursed you with. Just remember that," he said and stood up with a hand outstretched to me when I looked up.