TWENTY SIX - EMBRACE

Jin arrived fifteen minutes late and he was fidgeting in front of Jungkook's apartment, fingers crossed and wishing Jungkook will not rant at him. For a while now, Jin is trying his best not to exchange bickerings with Jungkook especially when Soobin is present.

Jungkook looked at Jin up and down as soon as he opened the door. "You're late."

"Yeah. Sorry." Jin forced a smile. "Can I come in?"

Jungkook stepped on the side to let me Jin in.

"Can I use the washroom?" Jin asked showing him his toothbrush. He badly needed to brush his teeth after all the street foods that he ate.

Jungkook nods, not speaking any word. During those times when Jungkook's coming home late, Jin was free to use the washroom but now that Jungkook's schedule has changed, as a courtesy, Jin is asking for permission.

Jin gasps and holds on to his chest when he saw Jungkook's reflection in the mirror. He's leaning his back against the door frame, staring at Jin.

"Where have you been?" His eyes locked on Jin's. Jin was sure that he informed Soobin about his whereabouts.

"I told Shoobin dsat I'm going aw with Jsimin," Jin said still with bubbles in his mouth looking at Jungkook in the mirror.

Jungkook's face did not change. His face looks irritated. Jin wonders why.

"I know you're with Jimin, I'm asking where have you been?" He asked again causing Jin to rinse his mouth before walking past Jungkook and out of the washroom.

"We ate street foods near the bus station," Jin answered while wiping his mouth clean.

"What did you eat?"

Jin thought that Jungkook's questions are getting weirder and weirder. And he can't understand why he has that urge to answer no matter how weird Jungkook's questions were. "Fish cake and Tteokbokki?"

Jungkook nods and continues preparing the dinner, making Jin wonder more what's up with Jungkook. He questioned me about my whereabouts and then the food that I ate and now, he will turn his back from me. Weird!

Jin chose to ignore and walked towards the study room. Soobin is already there, books opened and already answering the questions.

"You've started without me." Jin sat down beside Soobin. Soobin lifts his head and turns to Jin.

"You told me to try answering questions for advance study. I read the topic first and now I'm trying to answer the questions." The way Soobin said that it's obvious that he's so proud of himself. And Jin is so proud of Soobin too that he remembers all the advice and instructions that he's telling him.

"Is your father mad at me?" Jin asked, whispering at Soobin.

"No, but he's asking about you. I told him you told me that you're going out with Uncle Jimin then he asked where but you didn't tell me." Jin loves listening to Soobin's cute little voice. It's just so innocent. "Did daddy yell at you?"

"Oh no! No! I just asked because your father looks annoyed." Jin wants to slap himself after saying that because Soobin stopped from writing to look at him. "Binnie, don't mind Teacher Jinnie okay? Continue working."

"But daddy is annoyed at you. Why?"

"No, he's not annoyed at me. I just said he looks annoyed but it doesn't mean at me. Maybe at work? You know. Your father is sometimes busy at work." And Jin hopes that his reasoning works.

Soobin thinks for a while and continue answering his exercises. "Maybe. I heard him talking to Uncle Joonie over the phone on our way home."

"Joonie? Wait, why? They fight over the phone?" Jin asked and Soobin is as confused as ever.

"Teacher Jinnie, you said do not listen when adults are having a conversation. So I did not listen."

Jin is bewildered by Soobin's answer. And ashamed at the same time. "Right. That's right. And speaking of Uncle Joonie, he's calling so please excuse me."

Jin went out to the balcony to answer Namjoon's call. He looked back first to make sure Jungkook is not there.

"Hey! My tutorial is still ongoing." Jin said over the phone. Resting his arms on the railings of the balcony. "What's up?"

Are you free tonight?

"Tonight? Wait..." Jin thinks for a while, he knows that Soobin will make him stay for dinner. "I'm not yet sure. I will talk to Soobin first."

Namjoon chuckled on the phone. "He will understand. Tell him that it's Uncle Joonie inviting you."

Jin thinks again and sighs. "Okay. Maybe at 8 pm? I arrived late today so I need to extend my time."

"Okay, 8 pm. I will pick you up at the lobby?"

"No, no. Let's meet up somewhere. Maybe in front of the coffee shop?"

"Very well. See you later."

Jin dropped the call not knowing that Jungkook heard everything. Jungkook rushed to the kitchen after hearing the time that Jin is going to be out. He mindlessly dialed Taehyung's number.

"Hey Tae, listen, sorry about what happened earlier. I didn't mean to yell at you but please listen to me, we need to meet now."

Taehyung doesn't sound pleased when he heard that they needed to meet now.

"All on me. I need a drink. This is an emergency. Just say yes."

Jungkook's face lights up as soon as Taehyung agreed. Dropping the call, Jungkook did not even change his clothes and walked to the study room to inform Jin and Soobin.

"Hey Jin, I'm sorry but Taehyung called. There's an emergency." Jungkook looked like in a rush while explaining to Jin.

"Emergency? What happened?" Worry is evident on Jin's tone. Taehyung is his best friend's husband.

"No. I mean, this is not personal. Business. I can't discuss now. Just leave Soobin after your time. He knows what to do." Jungkook placed a hundred dollars on the table. "Just please order food for Soobin. I need to go."

Jungkook kissed Soobin's forehead before rushing out leaving Jin speechless.

The whole time tutoring Soobin, Jin's mind is somewhere else. He cannot fathom leaving Soobin alone at night. If Taehyung's call made Jungkook rushed out of home, it might be really important. He confirmed it with Jimin and Jimin texted him that Taehyung is not at home to meet Jungkook.

"What do you want for dinner?" Jin finally decided that he will stay for Soobin. "You want me to cook for you or let's order some burgers and chicken then let's do a movie marathon in your bedroom because it's a Friday?"

Soobin nods frantically upon hearing Jin's offer but he holds Jin's wrist when he remembers something. "But you will go out with Uncle Joonie, right?"

Jin pats Soobin's nose and kneels in front of the kid. "He will understand. Besides, Uncle Joonie will like it better if I cannot come with him tonight." Jin winks at Soobin before walking out of the study room and ordering their dinner.

Everything went by so fast for Jin. Soobin is already sleeping in his arms by 10. The little boy that became really close to him is sleeping on his shoulder with his little arm and legs wrapped on his waist and thighs.

A tear fell from his eye remembering his son. Haneul doesn't want to sleep if he's not hugging him. It pains him that he won't be able to wrap his arms around his son ever again but somehow, he is relieved that he's making a little boy happy, even if he's not his own.

He closed his eyes, his chin against Soobin's head. While the TV is still on, Jin fell asleep on Soobin's bed with his arms hugging the little boy.