FIFTEEN - TIME

"Yes, I have a baby," Jin said and I am surprised like Soobin. I looked at his fingers and all I can see is a diamond ring. So he is engaged.

"Really? Can he be my playmate? He can play with me and Jihoon. What's his name Teacher? How old is he?" My son bombarded Jin with questions. As much as I want to stop him, I think I am curious too.

I look at Jin. His face is sullen but he keeps a smile on his face. "His name is Haneul and he is five years old. I'm sorry but my little boy cannot play with you."

"But why? Where is Haneul?" Soobin suddenly saddened. I know how much he wanted to have his own brother or sister but it's not possible. He hates being alone. Soobin holds Jin's hand and plays with his ring. "Uncle Chimmy has this too. He said Uncle Taetae gave it to him because he wants to marry him. Are you getting married Teacher?"

Jin looks uncomfortable with the questions. I am about to intervene to stop Soobin from asking too many personal questions when Jin scruffles Soobin's hair. "Let me just say that Teacher Jinnie is very happy right now. And I'm sorry if my Haneul cannot play with you. He's not here with me in Seoul."

Soobin sits back down. I know he's disappointed. "But you will play with me, right? I'll get to see Jihoon tomorrow. You can come if you want."

Jin shakes his head. "I'm sorry, I can't. I need to see someone tomorrow."

I know Soobin will not stop from asking. I stand up to end the dinner. I already saw Jin's empty plate. Maybe he already wants to go home. Besides, it's almost 10 in the evening. "Finish your dinner now Soobin. Brush your teeth, take a shower and go to bed. You can watch a TV while waiting for me. It's already 10. I will bring your teacher home."

"No, I can go home. It's okay." Jin looks like in panic. Maybe he doesn't want the idea of me driving him home. "It's only 10. I can take the bus or an Uber."

"No, I should." I walk past Jin to bring Soobin to his bedroom and before he can even protest. When we reached his bedroom, I kneeled down to talk to him on the eye-level. "You know what to do alright? You know my number if ever you need anything. This will be quick."

I pat his shoulder before standing up. But before I turn my back away, Soobin holds my hand. His eyes have that life in it and his face looks bright. Something I only see when he's with his uncles and cousin.

"Thank you, daddy." His voice is shy. It feels as if this is the first time I've done something right ever since Ken died. I squeezed Soobin's hand in return before going out of his bedroom.

I grabbed the car keys from the side table and went out of our unit. Jin rushed to keep up on me. I went straight in the elevator, holding the door to let him in.

"Why are you slow?"

He just pouts at me and stayed at the corner. He's acting very differently compared to how we argue earlier. I noticed him just playing with the ring around his finger. He's engaged. Funny. Someone can take his noisiness.

He's not talking inside the car. Being with him is nothing but awkward. I think he's mad that I put him into something he doesn't want.

"I can't understand why you're angry. You accepted my offer in front of Taehyung." I glance at him and his eyes are fixed outside, his fingers still playing with his ring.

"I didn't know that I will tutor Soobin. That's not allowed in school." His tone has too much calmness in it. Too far from his loud voice earlier.

"I have given you the conditions, right? You keep your mouth shut, nothing will happen." I already gave him assurance. Wasn't that enough? "Look, if the school kicked you out, I will hire you in my company. If that will lessen your burden."

He snorted. "Mr. Jeon, I came here to Korea to continue my teaching career. I did not finish my studies to be your servant. I don't need your help, if I may add. I am a teacher, Mr. Jeon. I can tutor, no problem with that. But treating me as a sitter as if I am obligated to your son is just too much."

I smirked. "But when you heard that I will triple your salary, you accepted it, right? So what are you saying now? Are you contradicting yourself?"

Finally, he looks at me. His eyes are watery I need to take my eyes off of him. I hate seeing people crying.

"I'm just so annoyed at you at that time. Okay, I am after the money. I wanted to buy a secondhand car. But when I learned that it will be Soobin, I declined. My job is important to me. I will not trade it to something forbidden just to earn.

Tutoring him is fine. I will shut my mouth up but why are you giving me a job that you should be doing? You are the father. It's not my obligation to cook food for him or to wait until you get home. I'm only his teacher."

I laughed sarcastically at him. "But if it's not Soobin, you will accept it. Earlier, when you don't know that it's Soobin, you accepted to tutor, to wait for me and to cook for him. Now, your getting salty about sitting him for a few hours. It's just the same. The only difference is he is your student. Or do you want me to add more?"

He glared at me. "I declined because that's my sole purpose in talking to you. To make you understand that you need to find time for your son. So why would I break my own purpose? I accepted the job at first because I don't know that it will be Soobin."

"Ridiculous." I scoff.

"Wait! Why don't you get a nanny instead of putting your burdens as a father on my shoulders? I don't have any obligation to you or to your son. It's not my fault if you fucked up as a father!"

"Said the perfect father who left his son somewhere in the world to be here. You're telling me to have time for my son when you don't have time for your own. You can teach there. The salary is bigger. Why teach here and leave your son there? I can't see your logic. So don't talk to me as if you are perfect."

"You don't know my story." His voice cracks. Is he going to cry?

"You don't know my story either." My eyes stayed on the road but even if he's only looking at me from the side, I want him to know that I am not fooling around.

"Stop the car." He said, removing his seatbelt. He's already crying.

"I will stop this in front of your home."

"I said stop the fucking car!" He screamed. "If you will not stop the car I will jump out!"

"Can you shut up?! Why are you acting like--"

"STOP THE CAR!"

I pull the car on the sides and he went out immediately, slamming the door at me.