Chapter Twenty Four - Disapproval

How long would Mrs Cosgrove stay angry? 

They did not spend a second night with Lord Holloway's sister. Mrs Cosgrove pleaded a headache and they travelled home that evening. At some point after midnight they reached Baron Street and headed silently for their rooms.

Her spirits heavy, Anna undressed by candlelight and fell wearily into bed. 

In the morning she wrote a letter to her father because whatever else, Keith Laverton had to be brought to justice! 

She told Papa everything she saw at the track. And finished with the smallest hint that Mrs Cosgrove was displeased with her.

Mr Joshua Fogarty visited the next morning and heard the story from Mrs Cosgrove.

"It's just not seemly, Miss Rosewood," he said, his tone indulgent. "You are very young, and understandably you were distressed by the sight of one racehorse kicking another. To my mind, the race track is no place for a young lady. It is simply too rough for their delicate minds."

Anna reminded herself that life in Henty House was no better than this now.

An invitation to Lady Eleanor Ingham's engagement ball was delivered to the house. The receipt of the elegant silver and ebony card went some way to appease Mrs Cosgrove.

"They are a good family, Anna," she said gravely. "You have done well to cultivate a friendship with the Inghams. We must commission a new dress."

Father had made the briefest mention in his last letter of the great expense attached to her season. 

"If I had known the cost I might have sent Princess Anna with you," he wrote. "City tracks provide greater earnings than our remote courses." 

The words came to mind again and again.  That money was an investment, not a gift, and they were by no means poor, but there were plenty of better places to throw their money than single-wear gowns and dance slippers that fell apart after three balls. 

If matters had been different between them, she might have voiced an objection. But the prospect of further social activity was invigorating Mrs Cosgrove so much!

Anna acquiesced.

-------------

It was the height of summer.

They walked in Hyde Park and dined at Lord and Lady Holloway's. The promised trip to the opera occurred and Anna would have enjoyed it had Mr Fogarty not made one of their party. He insisted on providing her with a learned commentary on the art of singing. 

With gritted teeth and stiff back,  Anna ignored him in hopes he would take the hint. But all that happened was a sharp jab in the ribs from Mrs Cosgrove and a grim suggestion that she keep a civil expression on her face and respond to him with grace, as befitted a young maiden.  

Mrs Cosgrove liked Mr Fogarty immensely.

No, that was not necessarily true. Mrs Cosgrove's attention was placed firmly on the main objective, that was all.

Then came a gala event in the gardens at the Countess Treworthy's home, where Miss Dewers darted everywhere and wrung her hands over everybody. 

Anna sat with under a shady tree with Mrs Cosgrove, so lost in a dispirited daze that she scarcely blinked when a gloved hand waved before her eyes. She looked up into Eleanor's laughing face.

"Good afternoon, Anna," Eleanor said gaily. "I came to see if Mrs Cosgrove can spare you." She gestured to a girl standing behind her. "I'd like you to meet my sister Maria, Lady Maybury. Would you like to come for a walk with us?"