Chapter Twenty Two - Conversation

On a sunny morning one week later, Anna met Perry Haversham at the Earl of Selmour's home.

The invitation from Mr Sowerby worried her after Mrs Cosgrove's dark warnings, after everything that happened with Davina and Mr Laverton.  But Eleanor accepted hers, and if Eleanor was happy to accept, then - was Mrs Cosgrove wrong?

As it turned out, what Perry said at the Opera House was correct.  Reginald Sowerby had no friends. But he also had no enemies. His peers treated him fondly, they knew him as a child in an adult's body. The Earl of Selmour was unlikely to make him his heir not because of character defect, but because Reginald Sowerby could not perform the duties required. Because every unethical adventurer took him up and used his good nature and simplicity for their own gain.

So here they all were. A large group - Eleanor and Anna, Lester Petier, Mr Stewart, Adela Monteagle and many others she had only met in the last few days. 

And Perry. He was in company with Mr Felix Mossman who was obviously here to pass pleasantries with Miss Monteagle.  Perry stood in the background, nodded courteously to anyone who spoke to him and waited for it all to be over.

That was the impression she had, but nobody else noticed, and for a long time she had no opportunity to speak with him. No reason to walk or even look in his direction, and he made no move towards her either.  As if she was nothing to him at all.

It destroyed all her pleasure in the day.

She had no business caring.  After a visit to the museum, a few morning walks in Hyde Park and another ball, she and Eleanor had moved past amicability to true friendship. Keeping Eleanor's secret helped a great deal, but they also found much in common, and spent whole days in each other's company.

Days given over to pleasure, filled with gentlemen too exalted to be suitors and too charitable to delve into her situation in any way. Restful days without stress. Without suspicion. Anna loved every minute of each one. And this was just what she had expected all along: the London society she'd imagined. Men and women living their own lives, confident and collected and - interesting. Full of curiosity and enthusiasm and laughter and sympathy. 

In their company she was improving. Her own manners were more natural, her conversation more refined. She was equal to everything.

Until today when Perry did not notice her.

He'd bowed to her when she arrived, just as he'd bowed to Eleanor. Perfectly respectful, very distant. Had something changed? 

But she buried the feelings so deeply that even Eleanor did not see. She talked of whatever her companions spoke of. Roses or jewels or poems or dance floors or the latest escapades of the most popular figures in society.  And when they all sat under the trees by a little constructed lake she decided to stay put while the rest of them went to look into the water for fish. 

Mr Haversham was not there at the time. He and Mr Mossman had gone back to the house to speak with the Earl of Selmour.  When they returned she was sitting alone under the trees. Mr Mossman passed by without seeing her and joined the group by the lake.

Mr Haversham hesitated.

Anna smiled at him. "I am perfectly comfortable here," she assured him. "You do not have to wait on me."

He smiled - a genuine smile at last. "I don't like the crowds," he said quite believably, and sat down with her.

Her spirits soared. She cautiously took a mouthful of wine and met his eyes with the greatest of calm. She tried to think of something - anything - that she could say.