Chapter Twenty Seven - Dawn

Anna was drifting aimlessly about her room when the knock came. 

Her maid had dressed her hair and she'd forced down some breakfast. The walls were closing in on her now. Usually she did not come out to the door, but it was barely ten o'clock and she knew Mr Fogarty would come in conventional hours. She slipped out of her room to hear who it was.

The butler had opened the door and she heard Perry's calm voice with a tumultuous leap of her heart.

"Morning, Elmer. Is Miss Rosewood up? Aware it's not the usual time."

Elmer began expressing his doubt over admitting Perry as she started down the stairs. She waited till she thought her voice would not carry up to Mrs Cosgrove and said, "I am here, Elmer." Her voice was quiet and collected.

Elmer looked even more dubious, but Anna overrode his concern. "Come to the morning room, Perry. Is everything well?" She led the way into the front room and was glad to see it was cleaned and ready for the day's visitors. She had chosen it as the furthest room from Mrs Cosgrove's bedchamber.

Facing Perry was hard. He closed the door behind him and seemed his usual confident, unemphatic self. Could she match his well-bred reserve? But she had come this far. She could carry it through.

"Been thinking." He was looking closely at her and she knew he was reading her every emotion. His ability to look inside her had always disturbed and charmed her. She felt the start of tears and gave a stubborn blink.

"Are you still angry?" she asked, reaching for the back of a chair in a sudden fit of dizziness. Perhaps she wasn't as controlled as she thought.

"No. Must apologise." Perry's voice was regretful and very comforting. "A bad time for you."

"Yes." Anna looked past him at the window, hearing the tremor in her voice. "A bad time." She knew the tears were not far away now. Perry knew it too. She could see him looking at her in alarm.

"Think you should say no," he said then. "Marry me instead."

There was a long silence. Anna looked at him, taking in his words ever so slowly. She felt her knees begin to buckle and took a deep breath. "Perry, do you know what you are saying?"

Perry nodded, looking more as though he were asking her to have a cup of tea. "Think you'll be happier." He added after a moment's thought. "Be happier myself."

"Would you?" Anna took a step towards him, reached out her hands for his. He held her hands firmly and she took a deep breath. "Would it be a sacrifice for you? I would not put it past you, Perry, to marry me just to help me."

He looked confused for a minute, then smiled. "No no, Anna. I want to do it."

It was a miracle. The sun strengthened suddenly and Anna knew she was saved. Perry was giving her back her life, and somehow ... yes, somehow she believed that he liked her too. There was warmth in his hands, thawing her icy fingers and filling her with courage. She could feel herself smiling. "Then ... yes, Perry, I would love to marry you." Her heart raced and the horrors of the past day faded  just as the door opened behind her. She turned to see Mrs Cosgrove's stern face.

"Mrs Cosgrove, do you think it would be a problem if I married Perry instead?" She asked bravely, forestalling any condemnation her hostess might offer. "I should like it so much more."