Chapter Nine - A Presentation to His Majesty

A light sprinkle of rain drifted out of the dark sky. Not the downpour of earlier; just enough to make everything wet and cold. There was a touch of ice to it, a hard edge.  

It was good enough for Mrs Cosgrove. She called the carriage to the front door and they pulled cloaks carefully over their dresses.

They stepped out together into blustery wet wind. Water soaked the matting spread over the steps, but Anna was skilled at moving through puddles and mud. She reached the carriage without mishap and stepped up, shedded the cloak and cautiously seated herself on newly cleaned upholstery. Mrs Cosgrove heaved herself in and the door was closed. They set off at a brisk trot. 

Anna examined her hem for signs of wet or dirt and arrived reassured into a blaze of lights amid carriages with crests. Footmen in liveries were everywhere and Mrs Cosgrove's plain carriage with its two horses simply did not compare. 

Anna looked round with wide eyes. It was grander than anything she had ever seen! 

A discreet pinch from Mrs Cosgrove reminded her not to stare. She alighted onto carpet placed over the steps and looked round cautiously. Tonight she was a part of this society. As Mrs Cosgrove showed their invitation to the doorman she took a deep breath, pretended she was not cold and prepared herself for the event to come.

-------

The play was deep and engrossing, and the sherry was excellent. Were it not for an early false play through sheer absentmindedness, Perry might have drank a great deal of it. As it was, he was nicely relaxed but quite clear-headed when the game wound up. He wondered if Kay and Selina were still in the palace and wandered out to see.

The crowds had increased in the past two hours, there was no chance of finding them. He was about to return to the card room when he caught sight of Mrs Cosgrove, dressed in deep plum after the fashion of a respectable matron. She was a stranger to him, he knew little more of her more than her name. His eyes passed over her without thought.

Beside her was the girl he met at the docks in Edinburgh, following the older woman gracefully through the growing crush. He considered her idly for a few seconds

That brief meeting with the girl in Edinburgh had passed from his mind, he'd not considered it for so much as a second after its occurrence. But the interaction now struck him as different to any other. 

It came forcibly to his mind now. How had it happened? How had she broken so easily through the reserve which served to keep most people out? And having done so, how had she then appeared to find him so acceptable? 

There was no awkward silence, no alteration in her expression or speech from start to end. He'd thought her an unusually presentable miss from a lower, simpler sphere of life, and thus explained her acceptance of his manner. Yet she was here! It gave her somewhat more interest than anything else in the reception rooms at present.

In matters of fashion, Perry was an acknowledged authority. Without being a leader by any means, he was commonly consulted by his friends on what should be worn in any situation. His deep knowledge resulted firstly from the extra years he had spent at home with a growing younger sister, and secondly from his time at Eton. His assessment of every soul he saw was instant and mostly subconscious and never personal; it was more the interest a tailor might have for a jacket of a cut he had not seen before. 

Looking at the girl now, Perry approved: the dress was simple, but skilfully and subtly embellished. She was slim with long arms and fingers, and well able to carry off the white of the gown with her deep brown hair and wide eyes. She wore a silver necklace instead of the more usual pearls; a clear indication that she was neither wealthy nor destitute. She was not over-painted and made a pleasing figure as she followed her chaperone to the inner chamber. Obviously she was to be presented tonight. 

He followed them without further thought.

Just inside the inner reception room, the youthful, twinkling eyes of the Viscountess of Buring opened wide from under an elegant coiffure. She stood with Miss Adela Monteagle who was pegged as the default belle of this season if nobody better offered. Perry saw with horror that Miss Monteagle had also seen him and instant escape was not possible. He joined them with reluctance.

"Hello, Perry. I think you must be lost." Beckie giggled in a very un-Viscountess way. Adela Monteagle always had that effect on her. 

He nodded to Miss Monteagle, unable to think of anything polite to say and wondering why she had chosen that particular shade of yellow when her complexion could not carry it. Her dresser had worked skilfully to save her appearance, but Perry did not feel that it worked.

"My sister is to be presented tonight." The Monteagle girl said, twisting a golden ringlet round her finger and eyeing a young blood across the room speculatively. The action intensified her likeness to the eagle her name inevitably conjured up in his mind. 

Perry had to get away while he could. He searched desperately for an acquaintance, any excuse to move on.

"Look, she's over by His Majesty already." Beckie watched the activity around them. "Let us move closer, Del. I can hardly see."

It was his chance to leave. He walked with them to a good position and opened his mouth to excuse himself. Then he saw Mrs Cosgrove with her protégée and decided to wait. 

The two stood with Ferdy Holloway and his wife, Mrs Cosgrove and Lady Holloway conversing with the familiarity of old friends. His Lordship was saying a few words to Sir Maurice Dewsbury and the girl watched his majesty in such an intent, interested way that Perry wished he could know her thoughts.

Lady Helena Dareby was before his majesty now. Perry knew her well: played cards sometimes with her father and brothers. She was a light-haired girl of solid proportions, dressed with all the money of her family. That she would make a good marriage was a foregone conclusion and he pitied the poor fellow who she caught. She curtsied well and stepped aside.

Miss Theresa Monteagle was next: a very pretty girl with her sister's golden ringlets in a neater form. She was overdressed, but not to the point of vulgarity. She would take better than her sister. He had a feeling Felix would soon be dangling after her. An unfortunate circumstance, very tiresome for them all.

The attendant spoke to Mrs Cosgrove and Perry moved imperceptibly closer as the two approached the Royal party. Lord Kenneth Olmsley acted as sponsor, Perry suspected the service was obtained through Mrs Cosgrove's friendship with Lady Holloway and her Lord. Lord Olmsley introduced her in a clear voice as Miss Anna Rosewood.

The girl stepped forward and curtsied, a graceful movement with no pretension about it. Perry approved. Of the three she was the least imposing, with just the slightest tinge of anxiety marring her performance. A lady ought to be serene at all times. Still, His Majesty conferred on her just a little more attention than he had on the previous two. She moved decorously away with Mrs Cosgrove to stand beside Lord and Lady Holloway. 

Perry looked after her for a long minute, puzzling over the name Rosewood. He'd heard it before somewhere.

"It looks as though many young ladies are to be introduced tonight." Beckie's voice broke into his thoughts. "Well, Adela, we must go speak with your sister. She looked very well, did she not?"

Perry saw the danger immediately. He looked them in the eye, gave each a stiff nod and made good his escape from the inner chamber.