Chapter Six - The True Beginning

On the first day in Baron Street,  Mrs Cosgrove and Anna had a long talk.

"Marriage," Mrs Cosgrove began hesitantly, "Is, of course, an affair of the heart."

Anna did not know what to say, so she waited.

"But," Mrs Cosgrove continued, "The heart is under your control. And that is what you must understand to make a success of the season. Especially," she looked very hard at Anna. "Especially, dear, if you are only to have the one season. There is no room for mistakes."

An answer was clearly expected. Anna took a deep breath. "Yes. I do see that."

"You cannot be - too superior, Anna. Some families are above your reach. And it's a very lowering fact, dear, but most of us think we are above our true position. If you are proud - there will be no helping you. If you understand this, we can expect success."

Anna doubted. Was it that way for her father and mother?  

"My parents," she said hesitantly, "Were very attached to each other. Papa mourned for years after she died." If he was over it yet, which she doubted.

Mrs Cosgrove nodded emphatically. "Yes! That is exactly what I am saying. My dear, all you need to do is find somebody you can respect. You can then find his best features and come to love them. And if you foster those traits that you most like, you will love him forever!"

There was some sense to it, and Mrs Cosgrove knew the world much better than she did. But despite her words last night, Anna suddenly realised that she'd imagined love from the start. 

"This," Mrs Cosgrove said firmly, watching Anna's face with a disturbing level of comprehension, "is a business. You are not at leisure, dear. The balls, the visits, the chats - everything is part of the career. You will train. You will demonstrate your skill. And you will pace yourself correctly. If you can do this, dear, you will succeed."

It was that one word - pace - that brought it home. Pace, like at the track. The horses, building speed slowly through training. Warming up, moving through their paces, and finally - the race.

"I see!" she exclaimed. 

And she did. The season was like a race. A marriage was like a partnership between horse and rider.  And what horse had she ever met that she did not eventually love? 

Mrs Cosgrove gave her a beaming smile. "My dear Anna, I do believe we shall make this work."

------

They began with the Duke of Turrin's garden fete. A simple affair.

The Duke himself would not be there. The family, Mrs Cosgrove said, were never present for these events. But it was part of their duty to polite society, and the secretary saw to everything.

Showers of rain marred the morning, but the sun was out when  Anna and Mrs Cosgrove passed through the gates at Huntsworth in Mrs Cosgrove's carriage.

A large modern mansion towered above. Grey stone, five storeys at the highest point. She couldn't begin to count the windows. The gardens alone were bigger than Henty Racetrack, without including private grounds or functional plots. 

So this was how a Duke lived?

They stopped in a large courtyard. She was about to disembark when Mrs Cosgrove placed a hand on her arm. "Do as I do, my dear," she said in a quiet but firm voice. 

She led the way, resting her wrist gently on the footman's white-gloved hand. Anna watched carefully and copied. She was rewarded by an approving smile.